Language Service: Support for color themes in custom colorable items? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am about to implement a custom language service that will provide a set of custom colorable items. If I get the MSDN docs correct, this article describes the interfaces I need to implement:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb166250.aspx

However the interfaces referenced in said article do not seem to consider the currently selected color theme in Visual Studio, while I did check that changing the color theme affects the font & color settings for standard display items in the Text Editor category.

So my question is how do I provide the default font & color settings for the custom colorable items in my language service for each of the standard Visual Studio color themes? Is it at all possible?

An array of COLORINDEX entries passed as an argument to IVsColorableItem.GetDefaultColors makes me think that it is possible to provide several default background or foreground colors, but nevertheless it remains totally unclear how would I map those defaults to the color themes.

So, I'd greatly appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks!

Friday, July 19, 2013 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems our Products Group are thinking of sharing the information to resolve this issue on a blog or something. However, to track the status of the same I would suggest you to create a new connect feature request for the same and chase the status their. Please submit your feedback at https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Thanks,

Gaurav

Monday, August 5, 2013 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

Providing custom colors for other themes currently requires creating a PKGDEF file using a tool which is not publically available, although the tool was released to selected VSIP partners. Right now I am working with our developers to see if the tool can be made public or a blog explaining this.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Thursday, August 1, 2013 12:26 AM
  • Hi,

It seems our Products Group are thinking of sharing the information to resolve this issue on a blog or something. However, to track the status of the same I would suggest you to create a new connect feature request for the same and chase the status their. Please submit your feedback at https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Thanks,

Gaurav

Monday, August 5, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Thanks, posted a feature request:

Enable support for color themes for custom colorable items in the text editor in 3rd party extensions

I would greatly appreciate if you share this link with the relevant product group(s)
    • Edited by DmytroL Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:54 PM