none
Laptop best for Kinect Development RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all,

I am a rookie in Kinect development I have lots of questions but to highlight a few,..

1. Is kinect V2 same as the Kinect for Xbox one being sold at gaming stores?

2. Any specific laptop best for Kinect development?

Thanks!

Monday, June 27, 2016 7:47 AM

All replies

• 1. Yes(though to use with PC you also need to buy the Adapter For Windows)

2. I have used Alienware laptops with Kinect and they were very good. You should check out the recommended system requirements and try to find something that satisfies all of them.

Monday, June 27, 2016 9:36 AM
  • 1. Almost, Kinect for Windows (v2) has been discontinued to make way for the functionally identical Kinect for Xbox One. Its only real difference was that you didn't need an Adapter. But that Kinect also did not work with Xbox One. Probably the main reason it got discontinued.

2. Probably Microsoft laptops if you want to be safe. At least I assume you get more support from Microsoft if you have their base hardware.

[edit] @NPatch new post. But it does seem that "kinect v2" is understood as Kinect for Windows if you search for it on Bing and look at the images.

• Proposed as answer by Yanis Lukes Saturday, July 9, 2016 1:01 PM
    • Edited by Yanis Lukes Sunday, July 10, 2016 1:06 PM v2/Xbox One
    Saturday, July 9, 2016 12:14 PM
  • 1. Almost, Kinect (v2) for Windows has been discontinued. Its main difference was that you didn't need an Adapter. But that Kinect also did not work with Xbox One. Probably the main reason it got discontinued

V2 is the version of the sensor itself and the SDK by extension. Has nothing to do with the adapter or the lack of it.The sensor itself for Xbox One is V2.Which is why I replied with just Yes ;).

And even if he had somehow gotten the discontinued sensor, its still the same as the Xbox One sensor in terms of version, capabilities etc.

Guessing the xbox store doesn't go as far as to mention V2 anywhere and just says Kinect for Xbox One or sth, hence why she/he's asking.
    Saturday, July 9, 2016 1:57 PM

• [edit] @NPatch new post. But it does seem that "kinect v2" is understood as Kinect for Windows if you search for it on Bing and look at the images.

Nope. Kinect for Windows without v2 is the PC version of the Xbox 360 sensor which was V1.

The confusion arises from the fact that they either say "for Xbox One" or "for Windows V2". But Xbox One's sensor is V2, which 360's sensor is V1. And since they didn't include the version number in the 360's sensor pc equivalent, they do so now to make it easy for buyers.

It's easy to understand "for 360" or "for One" to know which version you're buying. But when it's about PC , how would you distinguish between them if the name was Kinect for Windows for either? Hence the inclusion of V2 in the newer sensor's pc equivalent.

And to make it official that the hardware between Xbox One sensor and Kinect for Windows V2 is the same, from the link you provided about the discontinuing(middle paragraph):

"And because both Kinect for Xbox One and Kinect for Windows v2 sensors are functionally identical,our Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0 works exactly the same with either."

Like I said, V2 refers to the sensor hardware and the SDK version. You just have an adapter in order to connect to a pc, but that's irrelevant.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 8:26 AM