appcertui.exe doesn't boot

Question

• After using Certification Kit (appcertui.exe) several times, it does not boot any more. In task manager, I can find appcertui.exe process only for a moment. Does not recover even after rebooting the OS.

I'm using Windows8 CP and Visual Studio 11 beta. How can I recover this? Do I have to reinstall the OS?

Regards,

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Yoichi,

Can you try doing the following:

1. Open the folder %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppCertKit
    2. Delete everything in this folder.
    3. If there are any files that you cannot delete because they are locked by some process, then use Process Explorer, got to Find in the menu options, and search for that particular file. Kill any processes that are locking up files in the AppCertKit folder. Then clean the AppCertKit folder.
    4. Try running the appcertui again.

If this does not work then please open the event viewer few seconds after appcertui.exe has crashed. See if there is any Windows Error Reporting entry in Windows Logs->Application. Share the details of this failure.

Thanks,
    Salil

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Yoichi,

Can you try doing the following:

1. Open the folder %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppCertKit
    2. Delete everything in this folder.
    3. If there are any files that you cannot delete because they are locked by some process, then use Process Explorer, got to Find in the menu options, and search for that particular file. Kill any processes that are locking up files in the AppCertKit folder. Then clean the AppCertKit folder.
    4. Try running the appcertui again.

If this does not work then please open the event viewer few seconds after appcertui.exe has crashed. See if there is any Windows Error Reporting entry in Windows Logs->Application. Share the details of this failure.

Thanks,
    Salil

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:03 PM
  • I've deleted contents in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppCertKit, then appcertui comes back!

Thank you.

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:08 AM