none
"Visual Studio 2015 has stopped working" on startup

Question

• Every time I launch VS 2015, it crashes with a "Visual Studio 2015 has stopped working" message. This occurs before I do anything. It was working OK until yesterday. I did not install anything new.

I have done a full Repair operation, with no effect.

What can I do to diagnose/correct this issue?

Note: I am using /safemode because otherwise I get lengthy, inexplicable delays when I start a debug session.

• Edited by chrisd49 Thursday, March 03, 2016 3:25 PM
    Thursday, March 03, 2016 3:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi chrisd49,

>>Note: I am using /safemode because otherwise I get lengthy, inexplicable delays when I start a debug session.

Do you mean that it works well if you run your VS in safe mode?

(1) Please restart your machine, install the VS2015 update1.

(2) Please disable/remove extension tools one by one in your VS IDE under Extensions and updates window which were not in the default VS.

(3) Close all third party tools or processes in your windows like the Anti-virus or firewall or others, make sure that it is not the performance issue.

(4) Not open the desktop icon, for example, cd to the setup folder(Common7->IDE), open the devenv.exe, how about the result?

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 04, 2016 8:28 AM
  • No, as I said, "Every time I launch VS 2015, it crashes with a "Visual Studio 2015 has stopped working" message." I simply added that I have been using safe mode in order to avoid the debugger startup delay. But now it doesn't work at all.

I have VS 2015 Enterprise with Update 1.

• Edited by chrisd49 Friday, March 04, 2016 12:17 PM
    Friday, March 04, 2016 12:02 PM
  • I may have found the problem. The VS license had "expired" (what a PITA!) and VS was claiming that there was a "problem" accessing my account. I fixed that by signing in again, then updated the license, and now it seems to be working.

I suggest that MS try starting VS in safe mode with an account "problem" and an expired license. I think you'll find that VS crashes.

Friday, March 04, 2016 12:17 PM
  • See above. I may have found the problem.
    Friday, March 04, 2016 12:18 PM