none
Troubleshooting Userforms Tab Stops RRS feed

• Question

• Userform's tab stops are not working consistently when installing a Word 2013 Ribbon Add-In on different PCs .

Clicking a button on the ribbon opens a System.Windows.Forms.Forms with a number of buttons.  On my development PC, I can tab from button to button as designed.  On some of my user's PCs nothing happens when I hit the Tab key.  All the buttons work correctly when clicked.  Some userforms work just fine on all PCs, so I guess that one of the options I chose on this userform is not handled consistently on the different PCs

The difference between the working machines and the ones with issues are:

Working PC: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit; Word 2013 Pro 32 bit; Click-to-Run install

Not Working PC: Windows 7 Pro 32 bit; Word 2013 Standard 32 bit, Normal install.

All machines are fully updated as of this morning.

My questions are:

• How can I design an Add-In to work on any Word 2013 install? 
    • How can I troubleshoot a Word installation that is not the same as that of my development PC?
    • Is there an easier way to test on a different PC other than publishing a new version and updating that PC for testing?
    • Is there a list of known difference between the Click-to-Run versus Normal Office 2013 installs?
    • Is there a list of known difference between the Pro versus Standard Office 2013 versions?
    • Is Word 2013 not the same in Office Pro vs. Office Standard?

I know there are a lot of questions in this one note, any suggestions on any of the questions would be helpful.

Matt Reed

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 7:37 PM

Answers

• I found it. 

The two different versions of Word 2013 handle userformname.Show() differently.

Changing the command to userformname.ShowDialog() the userform handled the tab key the same no matter which version of Word I was testing.  Actually, I should have used .ShowDialog() in the first place.

Thanks again for your help.

Matt Reed

Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:49 PM
  • Hi Matt Reed,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

According to the description, the tab stops on some computers on the Windows form in Word's add-in.

To narrow down whether this issue is relative to VSTO, I would suggest that you create a standard Windows From application to see whether this issue could be reproduced.

>>How can I design an Add-In to work on any Word 2013 install? <<

When we developing Office solution using Office 2013 project templates in Visual Studio 2013, it should work on Word 2013, Word 2010, Word 2007. You can get more detail about it from link below:
    Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

>>How can I troubleshoot a Word installation that is not the same as that of my development PC?<<

This is very complex, it depends on the error messages. And here are some helpful links for this topic:

Troubleshooting Office Solutions

My Office Addin does not Load!

>>Is there an easier way to test on a different PC other than publishing a new version and updating that PC for testing?<<

Based on my understanding, we only need to test the solution on the developing environment and to make the solution work for different environment we can refer to the link above:"Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office" and "Troubleshooting Office Solutions".

>>Is there a list of known difference between the Click-to-Run versus Normal Office 2013 installs?<<

Here is the description for the Click-to-Run version:
    Even though the Office product runs in a self-contained environment, the Office product can interact with the other applications that are installed on the computer. Macros, in-document automation, and cross-Office product interoperability will work. Click-to-Run is also designed to allow locally-installed add-ins and dependent applications to work with it. However, there is the possibility that some add-ins or other integration points with Office might behave differently or might not work when you are using Click-to-Run.

You can learn more about Click-to-Run from link below:
    Overview of Click-to-Run>>Is there a list of known difference between the Pro versus Standard Office 2013 versions?,Is Word 2013 not the same in Office Pro vs. Office Standard?<<

As far as I know, we need Any suite edition of Office 2013 or Office 2010, including Office Professional Plus for Office 365 to develop corresponding solution. And any standalone Office applications are also suitable. Here is an helpful link:
    Configuring a Computer to Develop Office Solutions

In addition, to get more effective response I suggest that you ask one quesion per thread.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by MattReede Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:34 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt Reed,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

According to the description, the tab stops on some computers on the Windows form in Word's add-in.

To narrow down whether this issue is relative to VSTO, I would suggest that you create a standard Windows From application to see whether this issue could be reproduced.

>>How can I design an Add-In to work on any Word 2013 install? <<

When we developing Office solution using Office 2013 project templates in Visual Studio 2013, it should work on Word 2013, Word 2010, Word 2007. You can get more detail about it from link below:
    Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

>>How can I troubleshoot a Word installation that is not the same as that of my development PC?<<

This is very complex, it depends on the error messages. And here are some helpful links for this topic:

Troubleshooting Office Solutions

My Office Addin does not Load!

>>Is there an easier way to test on a different PC other than publishing a new version and updating that PC for testing?<<

Based on my understanding, we only need to test the solution on the developing environment and to make the solution work for different environment we can refer to the link above:"Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office" and "Troubleshooting Office Solutions".

>>Is there a list of known difference between the Click-to-Run versus Normal Office 2013 installs?<<

Here is the description for the Click-to-Run version:
    Even though the Office product runs in a self-contained environment, the Office product can interact with the other applications that are installed on the computer. Macros, in-document automation, and cross-Office product interoperability will work. Click-to-Run is also designed to allow locally-installed add-ins and dependent applications to work with it. However, there is the possibility that some add-ins or other integration points with Office might behave differently or might not work when you are using Click-to-Run.

You can learn more about Click-to-Run from link below:
    Overview of Click-to-Run>>Is there a list of known difference between the Pro versus Standard Office 2013 versions?,Is Word 2013 not the same in Office Pro vs. Office Standard?<<

As far as I know, we need Any suite edition of Office 2013 or Office 2010, including Office Professional Plus for Office 365 to develop corresponding solution. And any standalone Office applications are also suitable. Here is an helpful link:
    Configuring a Computer to Develop Office Solutions

In addition, to get more effective response I suggest that you ask one quesion per thread.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by MattReede Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:34 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:33 AM
  • Hello Fei Xue.

Thanks for the excellent answer.  I totally agree that one question at a time works better, in this case I was just sort of lost trying to decide where to start.

Let me work through the leads you gave me. If I cannot figure out the issue maybe I can at least form a definitive question.

Thanks again, you gave me some place to start.

Matt Reed

Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:34 PM
  • I found it. 

The two different versions of Word 2013 handle userformname.Show() differently.

Changing the command to userformname.ShowDialog() the userform handled the tab key the same no matter which version of Word I was testing.  Actually, I should have used .ShowDialog() in the first place.

Thanks again for your help.

Matt Reed

Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:49 PM