none
How to hide the toolbar in Small Basic? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I hide the toolbar in Small Basic?

The toolbar is not necessary to be visible at all times and takes up so much screen space when I'm trying to have a PDF file on the top part of the screen and Small Basic on the bottom part where all my code is.

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:09 PM

Answers

• That is a custom-designed Ribbon control (much like a simplified version of the MS Office Ribbon).

Ribbons unfortunately are not designed to be resized. The whole point of a ribbon is to dynamically expand and collapse its contents such that they are the correct size to fit the current windows width (old MenuStrips didn't do this and you would have to click on an arrow to see more options if the window width were too small).

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:05 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• If you go to the edge of the toolbar with the mouse, you will see the resize cursor. From there, you can click and resize to match your preferences.

I am an 11 year old that knows Small Basic and is learning Java and C. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:18 PM
  • Which edge do you mean? I don't understand.

I'll post a screenshot to make it more clear what I'm trying to do. :)

Screenshot:

http://picpaste.com/pics/Clipboard02-lzSGOAGc.1360366137.png

How do I hide that toolbar inside the red rectangle?

• Edited by stephanie_L Friday, February 8, 2013 11:29 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 11:28 PM
  • Oh! You meant that one. I thought you meant the one that shows the Small Basic objects, functions, variables, etc. I don't know how to hide the top one, Sorry.

I am an 11 year old that knows Small Basic and is learning Java and C. 'Binary is as easy as 1, 10, 11.'

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:31 PM
  • Does anyone else know how to hide the toolbar?
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:03 AM
  • That is a custom-designed Ribbon control (much like a simplified version of the MS Office Ribbon).

Ribbons unfortunately are not designed to be resized. The whole point of a ribbon is to dynamically expand and collapse its contents such that they are the correct size to fit the current windows width (old MenuStrips didn't do this and you would have to click on an arrow to see more options if the window width were too small).

Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:05 AM
    Answerer

The toolbar takes up too much valuable screenspace and I have a rather small display. If the Ribbon hasn't been designed to be resized (or hidden) before, then I'd like to do that, so I can use Small Basic without the toolbar getting in the way.

Where can I get the the source code for Small Basic?
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:03 AM
  • You cannot get the source code by any normal means since it is Microsoft's property.

However, you can download ILSpy or .NET Reflector or a similar tool and use that to decompile Small Basic back to its source code. I have tried to do this before but have run into countless compiler errors when trying to rebuild it since no decompiler can provide an exact working copy of the original code. It will be awfully tricky to modify the ribbon code without the original source and a good knowledge of how everything works inside (unfortunately only Vijaye Raji knows that, but he no longer works for MSFT).

Alternatively, you could use Notepad++ or something similar to write your code and then build it with SmallBasicCompiler.exe.

If you decide to go the decompilation route, the ribbon is located under Microsoft.SmallBasic.Shell.Ribbon.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:07 AM
    Answerer
  • Wow...

I hope I don't ever put other people in the same position where someone wants make a simple change in their program in order to make their work easier but have no means to do that. I'm pretty sure it's not that difficult just to hide the ribbon to free up the screen space. I don't need to resize it, I just need to get it out of the way. And even if I can't do it myself, I would gladly pay someone to do it for me, which I guess in this case is impossible.  I'm not going to spend time on decompiling it, I have no knowledge on how to do that.

I've been using Notepad++ for quite some time now, but as far as I know, it can't use autocomplete for this language as well as SB can, so I suppose I'm stuck with using SB for now.

But I guess it doesn't matter as much, because I only have to use SB for about 4 weeks.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 4:40 PM
  • I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with Small Basic. I, for one, am a strong believer in the power of Small Basic to get people interested in programming since it has done so to countless people (me included), so I hate to see you so disappointed with it.

I agree with what you said about how MSFT put us into a tight position with so few editor configuration options. However, you have to remember that SB was designed so that even elementary students could use it, so more options = more trouble. Also, if a ribbon hiding feature were introduced, think of how many people would go to MSFT saying "Oh no! Where did the ribbon go!?!?!?!". When writing software for a huge user base across many age levels, you must make simplicity key.

One thing to try is to increase your screen resolution / DPI. SB is really designed for at least a 1024x768 display (even if you have that, larger is better, especially if you have multiple windows open.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Stephanie,

It's a good point and was taken to heart in general. The more recent versions of the ribbon (in Office for example) were designed with an arrow to hide or expand the ribbon for this very reason. So you have an excellent point.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:34 AM
    Owner