How to create a local server with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio? (SQL Server 2008 R2) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I tried it thousand times to create a local server with the Management Studio, but when I clicked Test, it returned an error that it cannot connect to the server. (course not, its not running, but I cannot make it run)

Could you please tell me in detailed simple steps how to register and start a local server?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:56 AM

Answers

• Sorry you are having trouble. Try starting with this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062 The instructions say "Once you click on the “Download” button, you will be prompted to select the files you need." Then select ENU\x64\SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe which should get you just the latest Management Studio.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hello,

Do you have a local installed SQL Server? Is the SQL Server service running; you can check it with services.msc? Is it a named instance and which name is used (maybe SQLEXPRESS)?

In the combobox "Server name" in login dialog you can choose "<Browse for server>", have you tried this option, if you can see a SQL Server there?

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:22 AM
  • Hello ,

I would suggest you to have a look at this link :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30438

I suppose that you have a Windows 2008 Server 64-bit

You have to download SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe , advantage : you have the full edition including the database engine , SQL Server Management Studio ( shortcut : SSMS ) and the Reporting Services

If you want the 32-bit version of SQL Server 2008 R2 , choose : SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe

I prefer to download the full pack as if you download only SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Tools  ( SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe ), if you want to install the Reporting Services , you will have to download the  SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe ( a loss of time and space )

Don't forget to save the download on your computer before the install ( with this behavior , you could use this download to install a second SQL Server instance , so you avoid not only a 2nd download , but the setup program will use the same files extracted during the 1st install ==> less time for the install and less space lost on your drives )

If you have installed only SSMS , you have downloaded only SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe or SQLManagementStudio_x86_ENU.exe ( a classical pitfall for SQL Server Express 2005 or 2008 ).

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi

you can install Microsoft Virtual Pc, or Vm VirualBox into loacal pc after complete.

setup windows server 2003,2008 in Virtual Machine  and setup sql data server.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Hi Andulkahim, 

does it mean that I cannot do that the way I tried?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Hello,

Do you have a local installed SQL Server? Is the SQL Server service running; you can check it with services.msc? Is it a named instance and which name is used (maybe SQLEXPRESS)?

In the combobox "Server name" in login dialog you can choose "<Browse for server>", have you tried this option, if you can see a SQL Server there?

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help. Apparently it is not running, the only service running with similar name is SQL SERVER VSS ...

I guess I have installed SQL server, yes, it is in the installed programs list: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2.

Please help me how to get that service running and set up the server. 

Thank you 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:35 AM
  • SQL Server VSS = Volume Shadow Server, it belongs to SQL Server, but isn't the database engine.

There should be a service "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)" and it should be in a running state, if it's installed.

If not, download the free Express Edition of SQL Server and install it.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:01 PM
  • "it is in the installed programs list: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2." It is installed, isn't it possible that some configurations are wrong???
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Use the SQL Server Configuration Manager program to start the SQL Server Database Engine.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:03 PM
  • I can't, in the SQL Server Configurator Manager "There are no items to show in this view". There are no items at all. 
    Friday, June 21, 2013 11:48 AM
  • You get that message, because the SQL Server isn't installed.

Download the free Express Edition and install it.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:38 PM
  • I trusts of course, but still cannot understand why is the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 as well in the installed programs and all programs(start menu) lists...

Could you please give me a download link. (I have already downloaded one version (2008 R2), but apparently I failed with it) 

I just wondered that it might coincide with the versions installed before?????? Do I need to delete these, before installing the one you recommend to me.

• Edited by matild Friday, June 21, 2013 12:51 PM grammar
    Friday, June 21, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hello ,

I would suggest you to have a look at this link :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30438

I suppose that you have a Windows 2008 Server 64-bit

You have to download SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe , advantage : you have the full edition including the database engine , SQL Server Management Studio ( shortcut : SSMS ) and the Reporting Services

If you want the 32-bit version of SQL Server 2008 R2 , choose : SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe

I prefer to download the full pack as if you download only SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Tools  ( SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe ), if you want to install the Reporting Services , you will have to download the  SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe ( a loss of time and space )

Don't forget to save the download on your computer before the install ( with this behavior , you could use this download to install a second SQL Server instance , so you avoid not only a 2nd download , but the setup program will use the same files extracted during the 1st install ==> less time for the install and less space lost on your drives )

If you have installed only SSMS , you have downloaded only SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe or SQLManagementStudio_x86_ENU.exe ( a classical pitfall for SQL Server Express 2005 or 2008 ).

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Hi, 

Meanwhile, I have uninstalled all the SQL Server stuff and just installed SQL Server 2012. Now, I have the SQL Server services running in the services.msc, but I have not got the SQL Server Management Studio installed. (???) 
    I don't know how to install it, should I use the SQL Server Installation Manager? It asks for some 'Installation Media", that I can't find. 

Please help me figure out how to get the Management Studio installed.

Thank you very much

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Sorry you are having trouble. Try starting with this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062 The instructions say "Once you click on the “Download” button, you will be prompted to select the files you need." Then select ENU\x64\SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe which should get you just the latest Management Studio.

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:05 PM