IBM WebSphere MQ 7.1 - BizTalk MQSeries Agent Installation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am trying to configure BizTalk Server (new pre-production environment setup) to push/receive messages from IBM MQ Series queues.

I have installed MQ WebSphere MQ Server 7.1 on a clean server and configured the necessary queues. Now, I have also setup a new BizTalk server in the same domain and have deployed the BizTalk application fine and have the receive location pointing to the new queue that I created on this new server. Now, I am trying to install the MQSeries Agent COM+ application on the MQ Server and am having grief.

When I try to install this from BizTalk server setup (Additional Software), the option is greyed out and am not able to select it and continue.

I tried to install this directly by running MQSConfigWiz.exe. The Agent gets installed fine but I keep getting weird errors in the eventlog. I tried to add the BizTalk host account under the users for the agent but I still get issues.

There is not much help on the internet and based on what I have seen, the only way to get this working is by running the BizTalk server setup and installing the agent through it. But, I cannot do this as I cannot select it from the additional software section. The message is not helpful...

At least one of the prerequisites for this feature is not installed or met

What are the prerequisites for MQSeries Agent? how can I install this on a dedicated MQ Server?

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:39 AM

Answers

• You need to have the MQ Client libraries installed on the BizTalk Server (the MQ Client is available for download from the IBM site and is also available on the WebSphere MQ distribution. Refer https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj248684.aspx 

When setting up MQ on Windows, there is set of groups and permissions that need to be configured in AD for it to work. Refer http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.ins.doc/q008840_.htm for AD Groups/Permissions required for WMQ on AD. The service account for BizTalk Host Instance should be part of the "domain mqm" and Local "mqm" groups.

finally, it may be simpler to setup and work with the MQSC Client side adapter when MQ Server and BizTalk are NOT installed on the same machine.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by Sai Vajja Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:04 AM

All replies

• You need to have the MQ Client libraries installed on the BizTalk Server (the MQ Client is available for download from the IBM site and is also available on the WebSphere MQ distribution. Refer https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj248684.aspx 

When setting up MQ on Windows, there is set of groups and permissions that need to be configured in AD for it to work. Refer http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.ins.doc/q008840_.htm for AD Groups/Permissions required for WMQ on AD. The service account for BizTalk Host Instance should be part of the "domain mqm" and Local "mqm" groups.

finally, it may be simpler to setup and work with the MQSC Client side adapter when MQ Server and BizTalk are NOT installed on the same machine.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by Sai Vajja Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:04 AM
  • I agree with Shankycheil.  You really should consider using the MQSC Adapter adapter that ships with HIS.  All you do is install, but not configure, Host Integration Server to use it.

You still need the IBM client bits on the BizTalk Server.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:52 PM
  • Hi Shankycheil

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, this server setup is a new Pre-Production environment that we are setting up which will need to mirror the existing production. In the production environment, we already have used MQS (MQSeries Agent running on MQ Server) communicating with the BizTalk server. I want to replicate this so i will have go with this setup.

Meanwhile, i managed to install MQ Server on my local VM (typical install) and configured default configuration of queues. Once i did that, i ran the BizTalk server setup and noticed that the MQSeries Agent option was enabled. 

Based on this, it seems like the MQ installation on the new server was not done properly or as you have suggested, the AD permissions are not setup properly. 

I will be look into this now and see if this is the case.

I will come back with an update.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:03 PM
  • Hi Guys

Latest update. Success!!

Made sure the service account that was created for MQ to run under was part of the correct group (mqm) and was a domain user.

Un-Installed MQ and re-installed it.

Ran BizTalk setup and this time, the MQSeries Agent check box was not grayed out!! So, went through the install and then configured the agent to run under the same service account as the BizTalk host service account.

This then created the COM+ application for Agent. Then everything started working!

Thanks for you help Shankycheil.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:09 PM