Windows Media Center

Question

• How can I get a copy of Windows 8 with WMC? I use Win7 now for my HTPC. I have loaded Win8 on that computer on alternative hard drive to see how it would respond, it did well. I am interested in giving feed back on using it in this situation to the developer program for day to day use by my family.
    Friday, December 23, 2011 4:19 AM

Answers

• Not all the features are included in the Windows 8 Developer Preview - Media Center is among them. A future prerelease version of Windows 8 should have WMC.

From the Building Windows 8 blog:
    NOTE: The preview build does not include every feature shown this morning.  Shown but not in the Developer Preview release include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features.  The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/welcome-to-windows-8-the-developer-preview.aspx

Media Center

While not a central topic of feedback, I received about 50 emails about Media Center. I want to reassure customers that Media Center will definitely be part of Windows 8. No doubt about it. Knowing how strong the support for Media Center is among pre-release testers, we still have work to do to make sure the quality and compatibility with add-ins is what you would expect even in pre-release (as with any release of Windows, compatibility is a major effort and when we work on the underlying video engine, as one example, we have to make sure features that push these areas receive adequate coverage).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/02/reflecting-on-our-first-conversations-part-2.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Friday, December 23, 2011 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by rlawler Friday, December 23, 2011 7:10 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 6:38 AM
  • it is my understanding that the only pre-release version that will be available for download is the present one(I got this info from another thread in the forum). Will the version your referring to also be available?

The beta will be a public release, just like it was for Windows 7. When it's released you will be able to download and install Windows 8 beta to test it.

• Marked as answer by rlawler Friday, December 23, 2011 8:07 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 8:01 PM

All replies

• Not all the features are included in the Windows 8 Developer Preview - Media Center is among them. A future prerelease version of Windows 8 should have WMC.

From the Building Windows 8 blog:
    NOTE: The preview build does not include every feature shown this morning.  Shown but not in the Developer Preview release include the Windows Store, Windows Live Metro style apps, and some of the user interface features.  The focus of the preview is the API and development tools for building Metro style apps.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/welcome-to-windows-8-the-developer-preview.aspx

Media Center

While not a central topic of feedback, I received about 50 emails about Media Center. I want to reassure customers that Media Center will definitely be part of Windows 8. No doubt about it. Knowing how strong the support for Media Center is among pre-release testers, we still have work to do to make sure the quality and compatibility with add-ins is what you would expect even in pre-release (as with any release of Windows, compatibility is a major effort and when we work on the underlying video engine, as one example, we have to make sure features that push these areas receive adequate coverage).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/02/reflecting-on-our-first-conversations-part-2.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Friday, December 23, 2011 5:40 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback, that is great to hear! But for the present time it is my understanding that the only pre-release version that will be available for download is the present one(I got this info from another thread in the forum). Will the version your referring to also be available? You guys a defiantly on the right track, I am new to the testing phase of your software and am anxious to do my part.
    • Unmarked as answer by rlawler Friday, December 23, 2011 7:10 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 7:10 PM
  • it is my understanding that the only pre-release version that will be available for download is the present one(I got this info from another thread in the forum). Will the version your referring to also be available?

The beta will be a public release, just like it was for Windows 7. When it's released you will be able to download and install Windows 8 beta to test it.

• Marked as answer by rlawler Friday, December 23, 2011 8:07 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 8:01 PM