What registry keys does a Visual Basic app change RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a web browser in Visual Basic 2012 Ultimate. I would like to know what registry keys are changed when installing a visual basic app. How can I see that?

Thanks in advance

Konstantinos K.

• Edited by Konstantinos K Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:14 PM
    • Moved by Julie Sheets Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:07 PM Incorrect forum
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have created a web browser in Visual Basic 2012 Ultimate. I would like to know what registry keys are changed when installing a visual basic app. How can I see that?

Thanks in advance

Konstantinos K.

I believe you determine what registry keys are changed depending on the installer you choose. For example if you want your WebBrowser to become the default WebBrowser I'm fairly certain you have to figure out what registry keys need to be changed and then have the installer do it. See "Install time registry access" in the below link.

Choosing a Deployment Strategy

Also see the instructions in the below link for info purposes. Specifically "Application Registry, Add registry keys if your App requires them.  Use the INS key to add new keys and values (or right-click)"

Installshield Limited in Visual Studio 2012 Professional

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:34 AM

All replies

• I have created a web browser in Visual Basic 2012 Ultimate. I would like to know what registry keys are changed when installing a visual basic app. How can I see that?

This utility

http://lifehacker.com/5162963/spyme-tools-tracks-changes-to-your-windows-registry

includes a facility to monitor changes made to the registry.   There are similar utilities available from other sources.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

There is also a tool called RegFromApp at this link that will allow you to see what registry keys have been changed by a program. I am not sure if it can be used to see what keys an installer changes but, it will show this for a program itself.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/reg_file_from_application.html

Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks in advance

Konstantinos K.

I believe you determine what registry keys are changed depending on the installer you choose. For example if you want your WebBrowser to become the default WebBrowser I'm fairly certain you have to figure out what registry keys need to be changed and then have the installer do it. See "Install time registry access" in the below link.

Choosing a Deployment Strategy

Also see the instructions in the below link for info purposes. Specifically "Application Registry, Add registry keys if your App requires them.  Use the INS key to add new keys and values (or right-click)"

Installshield Limited in Visual Studio 2012 Professional

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:34 AM
  • By visual basic non. 

However, some installers do, therefore visit the forum of the installer you've used.

For visual Studio

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vssetup&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Success
    Cor

Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:04 AM