none
If download is stopped due power loss or internet loss at my place, when portion is downloaded, do i have to restart from start?

Question

• I know on some downloads I have done.  A program keeps track of how much has been successfully downloaded.  IF not all downloaded, the restart of download starts after last bit downloaded.

Big advantage, if first 3 gigs downloads correctly, before internet connection goes down, when I try later ( in minutes or hours or days as maybe the case ) to finish the download.  I do NOT have to start over, downloading the 3 gigs I already had correctly downloaded.

if Visual Studio is 5 to 7 gigs, this would be a big deal.

I couldn't find anywhere answer on this.

At present I have some power and internet connection issues.  Up for a while, then down for a while.  No way to know in advance.

If something keeps track of how much was downloaded, so far, I could put up with having to make several attemps to download Visual Studio 2015.  Because I would be getting some at each try.

If I have to restart download from the beginning then I will have to put off the download till both problems on my end are fixed.

I didn't find anything to indicate possible range of size of download of Visual Studio 2015 Free version even.

Thanks

Mark J

Thursday, March 03, 2016 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark J,

Could you please tell us how do you download Visual Studio? Do you use download tools or web browse?

If you are using download tools, in my opinion, these tools often support continue downloading after loss power and internet. I suggest you contact the download tools provider to confirm whether their tools support or not.

If you are using browser, please tell us which browser you are using. I will help you test it in my side to check whether the browser you used support breakpoint downloading.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 04, 2016 3:30 AM
  • Weiwei,

Thank you for getting back to me so fast.

As to how I downloaded Visual Studio Last time, I do not remember.

I do remember I used a link provided in the announcement section when I started my current version of Visual Studio for a newer version.

That link might have brought me to www.visualstudio.com where I could click on the link to download files.

I DID NOT USE ANY PRODUCT OTHER THAN WHAT Microsoft provided to get the download.

I don’t remember if there was any statements of, or about “download manger tool” in download notes or as started download.

There might have been, something about “download tool”, only part I remembered was the install program on the screen for so long. At least I could tell files being installed, so I could tell install had not stopped.

I just membered it seemed to take forever to download, but that might be due to my connection speed possibly being throttled down due to the size of file package, and time of download due to other net traffic on my connection.

I hope this is the info you need.

Mark J

Mark J

Sunday, March 06, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Hi Mark J,

According to your description, you should download the Visual Studio from browser directly and you are using web installer which downloading files when installing.

The web installer will continue downloading and installing after your computer restart. So when you download the vs_community.exe file from below site and when double-click to start installing Visual Studio, it will automatically download the needed packages and install even your computer stopped due to the power loss. But please make sure your computer can connect to internet when installing Visual Studio.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48146

If your internet is unstable, I suggest you download and installing Visual Studio until the internet problem fixed, which can make sure the Visual Studio can installed correctly.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 07, 2016 5:05 AM
  • Weiwei,

Lost my reply 3 times hope I don’t this time.  One time I found marking one of the posts as helpful, cleared my reply that I hadn’t finished.

1. Want to thank you.  Your response and the link below answered most of my questions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48146

1. I will make sure when I start download I have internet access.
    2. I have found I might have an alternate internet connection available.
    3. Downside is, maybe 30 minutes or more between time of download is stopped and I make a connection at another site, in a different city and a different internet provider. 
    4. What will be the same is the machine I started the download and I will use the same ID I used to log on to start the download.
    5. Will that make a difference or a problem?

Are you suggesting that if my internet is unstable I should I delay the download and installing of Visual
    Studio?

Thanks for being so helpful,

Mark J

Mark J

Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi Mark J,

>>Will that make a difference or a problem?

According to above 4 points, just the stopped time is the only problem. The internet in different city and different internet provider won't make a difference and a problem. But if the stop time to long, there may causes some issue.

>>Are you suggesting that if my internet is unstable I should I delay the download and installing of Visual Studio?

Yes, if you are downloading Visual Studio through browser directly and install with executable installer, please delay the download and installing of Visual Studio.

Since when you downloading the ISO installer through browser directly, if stopped too long, the browser session will be cleaned which will result the browser can't find the download resource after re-connect to internet.

If you download the executable installer, it will downloading the packages when installing. When installing if the installer can't find the packages and can't connect to internet, the installation will failed with the packages, which may cause the entire installation failed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 14, 2016 2:05 AM
  • Weiwei,Thank you for answering my questions.

I do have a question about the ISO installer.

ISO installer: I thought the ISO installer was used in process to create a DVD of downloaded files. So I could have a hard copy of Visual Studio Community 2015 to install later on a machine.

"the ISO installer through browser directly, if stopped too long, the browser session will be cleaned which will result the browser can't find the download resource after re-connect to internet. "

Do have any idea when if stopped, is too long? I might be lucky to reconnect after installer stops in 30 minutes.

My "official" internet connection is more stable now. BUT current speed is 316.8 KB, for past week.

I think it would take a very long time to download all the files at that speed.

Thanks again,

Mark J

Mark J

Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Hi Mark J,

Yes, the ISO installer will create a DVD file that contains all needed packages. So you can copy this installer to another machine to install Visual Studio Community 2015.

>>Do have any idea when if stopped, is too long? I might be lucky to reconnect after installer stops in 30 minutes.

I suggest you use some download tools which are almost support breakpoint downloading. Then the stop too long will not the problem to effect the downloading.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 18, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Weiwei,

Thanks.

Is there a link page on what to do after the file is downloaded as a DVD file?

I have created CDs and DVD from files I have.

BUT

I am a total newbie on downloading a file as a ISO DVD image, 

I believe that is what you are talking about.

As I have checked out downloading a file that way I ran into something like the checksum of the download should be the same as this sting.

My best guess is I pass the file to a "hashing" program and compare my results with posted value.

If values match then I got the correct and complete file downloaded.

I don't have a "hashing" program that I am aware of. I know I never used one.  and apparently there is more than one version of a hashing program.  No idea what one to use. 

Other question is about

"download tools which are almost support breakpoint downloading"

any recommended ones or ones a more of a pain to use?  Never had to get a separate downloader program before.

by the way, my internet is getting better, 200 kb to 865 kb in real time.  Still hope my internet connection gets back up to 100 meg plus soon.

Mark.

Mark J

Monday, March 21, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Hi Mark J,

>>Is there a link page on what to do after the file is downloaded as a DVD file?

There doesn't has a link page on that, but you can do with following steps after downloading the DVD file.

1. Please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290 to verify hash of the ISO. The Visual Studio 2015 SHA-1 value, please refer to: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx
    2. Double-click the ISO file directly and you will find a visualstudio.exe file in that file.
    3. Doulbe-click the .exe file to run the installer to start the installation for Visual Studio.
    4. And you also can copy this ISO file to any other machine to install Visual Studio.

>>any recommended ones or ones a more of a pain to use?  Never had to get a separate downloader program before.

According to the speed of your internet, I think you can try download trough browser. But if you still want to use some download tool, please try with Windows USB/DVD Download Tool from Window Store. And you also can search "Download tool" on google, there will list lot of download tools.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:58 AM