Soft-Keyboard moves flyout and hides the focused TextBox: How to prevent this "clever" behaviour?

Question

• Hi,

I am working on a W8.1 App and have a big problem with the way a flyout is automatically repositioned when the soft-keyboard shows up:

I have created a demo that show how great the flyout positioning works:
    http://1drv.ms/1kCgzMe

Scenario 1:
    - Run the App in in the Simulator (or on device with soft-keyboard)
    - Click on Item6. This will show a flyout left to the item.
    - Focus the TextBox within the flyout to bring up the keyboard. The Flyout will be centered over the list (jump to the right) is resized to fit above the keyboard but it gets just about 2/3 of the available height.

Scenario 2:- Close the keyboard and the flyout to start over.
    - Click on Item12. The Flyout will be placed above the item.
    - Focus the TextBox and the Flyout will be moved up.
    ==> TextBox is no longer visible

Moving the focused TextBox off screen is really not a good idea when the user should be able to see what he is typing. Is there is good way to make the repositioning of the Flylout a little bit more clever?

Monday, March 17, 2014 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can override the default behavior by handling the InputPane notifications. see  The touch keyboard for details.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 5:19 PM
    Owner
  • The link does not work, it refers to this page... Can it really be true, that the default behaviour is not smart enough to keep the focused input control on screen?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:56 PM
  • I fixed the link. It is also the first hit when you search for "touch keyboard".
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:10 PM
    Owner
  • Can it really be true, that the default behaviour is not smart enough to keep the focused input control on screen?
    It seems the system isn't smart enough when relatively large Flyouts are involved. Even worse is the bug sometimes preventing the flyout from returning to it's original position when the text box loses focus. That bug is easily reproduced with flyouts coming from the bottom right of the bottom app bar.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:40 PM