none
Backup Vault on Azure Classic Portal not in Recovery Services on new Azure Portal RRS feed

• Question

• Backup Vault setup on Azure Classic Portal back in November 2015 before new portal was available.

This Backup Vault does not show up on the new Azure Portal under Recovery Services. It shows up under Resource Groups, but when I click on it, it kicks me over to the classic portal.

Is it possible to convert this "Backup Vault" from the classic Azure portal to a "Recovery Services Vault" on the new Azure portal?

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting your query here!

Azure "Backup Vault" is used in Classic model for backing up Windows clinets/servers and Azure VM;s (Classic). Azure backup vault doesn’t support VMs created though ARM deployment model i.e. IaaS V2 VMs. In order to support backup of ARM VM's we introduced recovery services vault. More information here - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/backup-azure-vms-first-look-arm/ 

Is it possible to convert this "Backup Vault" from the classic Azure portal to a "Recovery Services Vault" on the new Azure portal?

No. However, you can register the classic VM's to the new "Recovery Services Vault"

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If this post was helpful to you, please upvote it and/or mark it as an answer so others can more easily find it in the future.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting your query here!

Azure "Backup Vault" is used in Classic model for backing up Windows clinets/servers and Azure VM;s (Classic). Azure backup vault doesn’t support VMs created though ARM deployment model i.e. IaaS V2 VMs. In order to support backup of ARM VM's we introduced recovery services vault. More information here - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/backup-azure-vms-first-look-arm/ 

No. However, you can register the classic VM's to the new "Recovery Services Vault"

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If this post was helpful to you, please upvote it and/or mark it as an answer so others can more easily find it in the future.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Hi Sadiqh,

Thanks for the quick reply...I'm sorry I've been away.

This really wasn't a VM related question though I realize you're explaining the logic of why the recovery services vaults were created.

I initially setup backups to a classic portal "Backup Vault", and i just don't want to lose all the backup history I have there when I move to the recovery services vault.

Thanks again,

-Patch

-Patch

Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:59 PM