Which Technology Best Fit RRS feed

• Question

• User-1375742532 posted

Hi,

This might be the right place or not, but I am unsure on which ASP.net technology to choose. I am planning on building an ERP system, which most user will be likely on ASP.net MVC interface, however MVC is more even driven and therefore doesn't really allow a good interface for administration of the system. Obviously key features such as 

• Send Email at X times
    • Importing/Exporting data into database, or external format such as PDF, Excel, and so on.
    • Chart and graphing

Obviously ASP.net MVC does provide some feature, but I am also look for performance since we are talking about huge amount of data, I don't wan't to overkill the servers. Clients won't be looking for this. So a great feature would be WPF which could do this however there is a drawback also and in which I cannot jeopardize.

• WPF require extensive system installation, but most of my end users are going to be using Smartphones, or the Web. 

Now I can't do this, unless i miss understood WPF web version. What I would like to do is to be able to create a backend using WPF feature, and create an API, and use ASP.net MVC to use as a front end screen for user to be able to login and so on.  The issue I have is how do I connect both technology, now that I am writing this should I just share the database some how, but this thing need high security, how can this be done? Are there any tutorial? Should I create XML file from WPF and share them in a public folder which then ASP.net MVC can read the files or that would show security issues. 

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:29 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

MVC is more even driven and therefore doesn't really allow a good interface for administration of the system

That makes no sense. MVC is not event driven. And you can design very good interfaces with HTML and JavaScript (which is what ASP.NET MVC generates for the browser).

• Send Email at X times
    • Importing/Exporting data into database, or external format such as PDF, Excel, and so on.
    • Chart and graphing

Yep - you can do all that.

WPF require extensive system installation

Dunno. This is an ASP.NET forum. Post WPF questions to a WPF forum.

create a backend using WPF feature,
    Huh? WPF is primarily a presentation format. You can use the same data access and business logic layers in MVC or WPF.

most of my end users are going to be using Smartphones, or the Web. 

That rules out WPF completely.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 6:25 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

MVC is more even driven and therefore doesn't really allow a good interface for administration of the system

That makes no sense. MVC is not event driven. And you can design very good interfaces with HTML and JavaScript (which is what ASP.NET MVC generates for the browser).

• Send Email at X times
    • Chart and graphing

WPF require extensive system installation

Dunno. This is an ASP.NET forum. Post WPF questions to a WPF forum.

create a backend using WPF feature,
    Huh? WPF is primarily a presentation format. You can use the same data access and business logic layers in MVC or WPF.

most of my end users are going to be using Smartphones, or the Web. 

That rules out WPF completely.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 6:25 PM
  • User-1375742532 posted

Jseb

• Send Email at X times
    • Chart and graphing

Can you provide a tutorial that would allow me to send any emails ( i mean many emails to all my user at when its like 11:00am ).

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:42 PM