none
"Page Layout" details are missing when document is opened using Excel::_ApplicationPtr->Workbooks->Open() if German lang pack is installed RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an Excel Addin using COM. This addin is used to perform some specific operation on an Excel document. The user launches the MS Excel in German language with German Language pack installed. He creates a new document and make some changes in the document, the user also edits the Sheet details in the Page Setup dialog that is opened through [Page Layout] tab->[Print Titles]. The user saves the document. Now the user clicks on the operation button in the addin and performs the action. The user checks the "Sheet" details again and finds it missing.

On debugging the Addin I found that the document drops the details when opened using the API Excel::_ApplicationPtr->Workbooks->Open() and this happens only for Non English languages, in this case with German.

Is there something wrong with this API that fails in German language environment ?

Friday, August 5, 2016 9:58 AM

All replies

• Please debug by minimize the operations:

1. Let the user create a new document and save. Working?
    2. Let the user create a new document and make some changes, then save. Working?
    3. ... etc ...

Best regards, George

Friday, August 5, 2016 3:29 PM
  • >>>Is there something wrong with this API that fails in German language environment ?

According to description, I am not able to find any reference and article to mention API that fails in different language package. So I suggest that you could do all operation manually and record macro to make sure whether this issue can be reproduced and whether you has missed steps through comparing your getting VBA code with your codes.

In addition could you provide more information about your issue, for example Excel Version, sample code and screenshot etc., that will help us reproduce and resolve it.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Monday, August 8, 2016 6:03 AM
  • Unfortunately there is no documentation for the Excel APIs that I can refer to and it made me post this query here. It works very well with English Language (Default) but fails with German. We have Excel 2010 installed in the machine with German language pack installed and enabled.

Following are the cases when the issue doesn't reproduce, given that German language is enabled...

1. When user makes changes and saves the document (*.xlsx), closes it and then opens from the explorer ( by double clicking or RMB->Open).

2. When the user saves the document as Excel 97-2003 (*.xls) format and opens it through the addin only (the Excel::_ApplicationPtr->Workbooks->Open() API is involved).

So it is noticed when the document is saved in Excel version later than 2003 (*.xlsx).

We have developed it in C++ and COM, and we are simply making a call to "Excel::_ApplicationPtr->Workbooks->Open(), passing the path of the file, to open the file in Excel. No other operations are performed on it. 

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:56 AM
  • Hi Yashpal_Singh,

According to your description, could you reproduce this issue on other machines, or install other language pack to narrow down whether this issue is related to language environment.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:59 AM
  • It was noticed with German language only, and on all the machines.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:11 AM
  • >>>It was noticed with German language only, and on all the machines.

According to your descirption, since the issue is complex, I suggest you contacting Microsoft support to raise an incident so that our engineer could work closely with him to identify the root cause and resolve this issue as soon as possible. If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. 

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/bb266240.aspx

• Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Yashpal_Singh Friday, August 12, 2016 6:41 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:53 AM