Tests aren't running in a newly generated Unit Test Universal App (VS 2015) RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to run any unit tests using the built in template project "Unit Test Universal App".

I keep getting this error message :

Failed to initialize client proxy: could not connect to test process .

I am on Windows 10 and VS 2015 Ent

I have tried running VS as an admin I still see the same problem.

• Edited by Anargyros Tomaras Wednesday, September 2, 2015 5:16 PM make title more descriptive
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Anargyros Tomaras,

If you run the unit test in other VS machine, how about the result?

>>Failed to initialize client proxy: could not connect to test process .

What is your test project's target platform like the following screen shot?

Maybe you could change the platform target=ARM/X64, test it again.

I met this issue before which was related to the third party process even if it was about the VS2013:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/807771/visual-studio-2013-test-explorer-only-works-if-run-as-administrator

Please also test it in your side, for example, close other third party tools/processes, test it again.

If still no help, please share us the detailed output message in the output window.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, September 6, 2015 6:13 AM
  • Here are some screenshots of the Debug and Tests log windows (target=Local Machine)

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:33 PM
  • I tried running the tests inside the Mobile Emulators and it worked. I see the problem only using my Local Machine as target (x86 and x64)
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:47 PM
  • Hi Anargyros Tomaras,

EndpointNotFoundException: The exception that is thrown when a remote endpoint could not be found or reached.

Maybe you could add the breakpoint in your test method, and then debug your test(right click the test method in Test Explorer window->Debug test), and then debug it one step by one step. Maybe you could get useful information.

I just get the similar exception messages in WCF service, whether it is related to the service in your side?

Reference:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/4f16325d-a4bc-4a86-814d-201ed662c825/systemservicemodelendpointnotfoundexception-how-can-i-solve?forum=csharpgeneral

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2458631/wcf-c-unable-to-catch-endpointnotfoundexception

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:39 AM
  • This isn't an error thrown by my test code. This is the error thrown by Visual Studio while attempting to start the test engine. I am guessing the test engine is using named pipes or some kind of communication channel that fails to connect or be created on my machine for some reason.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Hi Anargyros Tomaras,

If it is not the test code's issue, I'm afraid that it is hard for me to find the real solution for this issue directly. Maybe we could narrow down this issue:

One issue is that if you run your windows universal app(not the test project) in VS IDE using the same setting "target=Local Machine", how about the result?

I agree with you, it would be not the test issue since it worked well using other target. It seems that your specific app or unit test project has the specific requirement for the target.

For example, just create a blank universal unit test project, just add simple code line like Assert.AreEqual(1,1); and then run it with different target, how about the result? If it worked well, at least, we could make sure that it is not the VS IDE issue.

To make sure that it is not the add-in or extension tools' issue, please run your VS in safe mode, how about the result?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:29 AM
  • I cannot load a Universal Unit Test Project when VS is in Safe Mode. Says it is unsupported.
    Monday, September 14, 2015 5:23 PM
  • I cannot load a Universal Unit Test Project when VS is in Safe Mode. Says it is unsupported.

Not open your previous project, just create a new one after you open VS in safe mode, how about the result?

Please make sure that the network worked well in your machine.

Please restart your machine, and then repair your VS, and enable some options like this screen shot.

And then create a new test project, test it again.

If still no help, please collect the detailed setup log:

Use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Thanks,

Jack

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:38 AM
  • Any update? Anargyros Tomaras!

Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Thanks,

Jack

Monday, September 21, 2015 9:25 AM
  • I tried creating a new unit test project inside VS while running in Safe mode and it didnt work.

Network is fine.

I am updating now to the latest VS tools and i will try again.

Last resort i will have to reformat my machine :(

Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:32 PM
  • Hi Anargyros Tomaras,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 

What about this problem now?

Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

If a simple new unit test project still has this issue, maybe it is really the VS/Windows Environment issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, September 28, 2015 2:43 AM