none
Help with a suitable grid RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having to redo an application that I wrote quite sometime ago using a grid that I purchased on-line (please see below). Can anyone recommend a suitable grid/or alternative approach that will work with Access 2016 please.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:25 PM

Answers

• The Gantt chart suggested looks really good - but I need for example to be able to "click" on a cell, then display the information behind it. So for example, a booking for 5 days, select that booking then display all of the associated details.....name, address requirements etc etc.

I don't see any problems with adding a Click event to each item displayed in the Gantt chart. It might already be doing it. Did you download the demo and tried it? Just curious...
    Friday, June 3, 2016 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi. Not sure if any of them will work but there are several calendar demos at UtterAccess' Code Archive. Just a thought...
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Here's one example: Gantt Chart Demo
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Hi Rollybrick,

Did the suggestion from DB work for you? As far as I know, there is no built in control to achieve the same with yours. I think you need to develop your own ActiveX control.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 3, 2016 2:24 AM
  • Thanks everso for the replies and suggestions. The Gantt chart suggested looks really good - but I need for example to be able to "click" on a cell, then display the information behind it. So for example, a booking for 5 days, select that booking then display all of the associated details.....name, address requirements etc etc.

Question - If there are no built in controls, then can anyone recommend one to purchase?

Again thanks

Friday, June 3, 2016 8:49 AM
  • In addition to the DB Guy's suggestion, there are third party solutions out there which will let you connect to and update Google Calendars using linked tables.  It wouldn't be the same layout as what you have shown above, of course, but the layout would be familiar to most people and accessible from anywhere.  Just use your preferred search engine on something like "MS Access connect to Google Calendars".

Miriam Bizup Access MVP

Friday, June 3, 2016 8:57 AM
  • I'm having to redo an application that I wrote quite sometime ago using a grid that I purchased on-line (please see below). Can anyone recommend a suitable grid/or alternative approach that will work with Access 2016 please.

Hi Rollybrick,

What is the reason you need a new grid. Does the old one not function anymore in A2016, perhaps because of compatibility, or do you need extended functionality?

What are your programming skills to build your own? It seems to me that it is good doable, but I must admit that I am quite a bit biased in making my own tools.

Imb.

Friday, June 3, 2016 9:42 AM
  • The Gantt chart suggested looks really good - but I need for example to be able to "click" on a cell, then display the information behind it. So for example, a booking for 5 days, select that booking then display all of the associated details.....name, address requirements etc etc.

I don't see any problems with adding a Click event to each item displayed in the Gantt chart. It might already be doing it. Did you download the demo and tried it? Just curious...
    Friday, June 3, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Hi and thanks for all your replies (sorry for taking some time to get back....hols!)

I've had a look at the demo and provided multiple entries can be made on the same row - (rows - accommodation, columns - dates and data are individual bookings) we are good to go.

Imb asked about my programming skills. Was in IT for almost 30 years, reasonable BASIC, COBOL and assembler programmer....gives you an indication of my age!)....and had some really fancy titles. So overall I would say fair.

My intention - is to redesign the database and spec the new requirements (you know how it is when an app starts off the shape of a circle and over 10 years ends up as a square!) Time permitting by the end of the year, go to market to get someone to do a fixed price program of  2 or 3 forms based loosely on the one I designed all that time ago, then I will complete the full app. The Gantt chart approach looks really interesting.

Thanks for all of your help again. Much appreciated

Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Hi. Good luck with your project.
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:07 PM