Sybase to SQL Migration Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I'm trying to Migrate Sybase 15.5 to SQL Server 2012.

My problem with Arabic Words,

I've tried SSMA , bcp in collated the sql server to ARABIC_CI_AS and ARABIC_100_AI_AS

but with no luck even tried to fonts in the sql reports when I made them but no luck

is there a way to change the charset in Sybase or SQL Server ? Since I found that the data itself will go as charecters no windows.

Note: When I made bcp out from sybase I let it to use windows charset and in when I displyed the output of the bcp in notpad it showed the arabic words but when I try to bcp in the SQL Server it gives me errors ether invalid data for type numeric or it gives me string data right truncation

many thanks in advance

Bye Faisal

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Faisal Shahin,

According to your description, if you use SSMA to migrate Sybase database to SQL Server, this tools can migrate the data from Sybase to SQL Server and synchronize target entire database with all attributes. it is confused that you use BCP utility to import the data from SQL Server or export data from Sybase.

If you want to migrate data (including Arabic Words) from Sybase to SQL Server, you can set the database collation to ARABIC_CI_AS or ARABIC_100_AI_AS when creating database in SQL Server, then use SSMA tool to convert entire Sybase database (with all attributes ) and synchronize target database to SQL Server.

For more information about setting or changing the Database Collation, you can review the following article.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175835.aspx

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Monday, March 10, 2014 9:49 AM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Hi Sofiya Li

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did what you said but with no luck too. I guess ether the migration didn't tell SQL Server that the data is Unicode or the sybase didn't insert the data as Unicode(which is impossible since the applications we made from powerbuilder displayed them in Arabic )

Many thanks for your reply

Bye Faisal

Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Faisal Shahin,

According to your description, if you use SSMA to migrate Sybase database to SQL Server, this tools can migrate the data from Sybase to SQL Server and synchronize target entire database with all attributes. it is confused that you use BCP utility to import the data from SQL Server or export data from Sybase.

If you want to migrate data (including Arabic Words) from Sybase to SQL Server, you can set the database collation to ARABIC_CI_AS or ARABIC_100_AI_AS when creating database in SQL Server, then use SSMA tool to convert entire Sybase database (with all attributes ) and synchronize target database to SQL Server.

For more information about setting or changing the Database Collation, you can review the following article.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175835.aspx

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Hi Sofiya Li

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did what you said but with no luck too. I guess ether the migration didn't tell SQL Server that the data is Unicode or the sybase didn't insert the data as Unicode(which is impossible since the applications we made from powerbuilder displayed them in Arabic )

Many thanks for your reply

Bye Faisal

Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:44 AM