none
Any relevant documentations for developing mobile client with Modern Authentication? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

My situation is that I am investigating how to develop mobile client with Modern Authentication. Just ask around for any relevant documentations/posts about how to communicate between client app and the server for getting the token.

I have an Office 365 domain. Is it enabled with Modern Authentication by default?

Is Exchange Online related to what I want to do?

Much thanks!

• Edited by sleung496 Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:38 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:13 PM

All replies

• Yeah you'll be using modern auth ( aka Oauth2).

Thursday, June 7, 2018 1:21 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!!

What I understood is when a mobile client supporting OAuth 2 adds an O365 account, by default the OAuth 2 (Modern Authentication) is used. Otherwise, Basic Authentication is the fallback. The O365 domain admins do not need to do any extra work to enable Modern Authentication.

Am I correct? Thanks!
    Friday, June 8, 2018 4:37 PM
  • Well I'm a bit confused now, if you're developing a mobile client - it's up to you if you want to fallback with basic authentication. Though, if Oauth2 fails, I can't see a reason as to why basic authentication would work - apart from some edge cases.

What I'd do if I was developing a mobile client and wanted a fallback - something along the lines of

//Let's assume you already retrieved a bearer token in the token variable

Result = BearerToken

If (Result == null) 
    {
    //Fall back with basic auth and store the token somewhere
    }

Else
    {
    // Carry on with your program, pass bearer token to Exchange online etc. 
    }

With regards to if the O365 admin would need to do extra work to enable modern auth - nope. That's always enabled. However, your app might need an identity, read here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/active-directory-integrating-applications
    Monday, June 11, 2018 11:04 AM