none
Spacing of textboxes not correct despite explicit typing of the location RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bunch of text boxes that is copying the layout of an old Crystal 8.5 report.  I have the text boxes all lined up in design view one right above another.  In the Location property of each textbox I have typed in the exact location where the textbox should be.  I have specified the textboxes to be 0.16in apart vertically.  Most of the boxes space correctly but puts about 2 or 3 times the wanted amount of space in.  The rest appear fine. 

I've even put different textboxes into the exact position where the problem occurs and the behavior repeats so I don't think it the textbox control that is the spacing issue.

Any help with the Report Designer would be awesome.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:59 PM

Answers

• Wow, the Report Designer never ceases to amaze me.  Ok, it was rendering funny in the preview pane but exported to PDF fine.  Well I've continued to work on a different section of the same report and now the original fields that were acting all crazy early are now behaving.  What the heck!!!?    I am about to throw the PC out the window!
    Monday, July 16, 2007 7:30 PM

All replies

• Is the space you're seeing in the Designer as well as the runtime output, even though you have put the exact Location in?

If so, you probably need to go into the Report Properties dialog and un-check Snap To Grid.

If the "extra space" is only at runtime, the textboxes are in the exact right position, there are a couple of possibilities:

1) check the padding values

2) check the lineheight, which by default is going to be determined by your font -- remember that, especially if CanGrow is True (also by default) this may be pushing "down" the bottom edge of the textbox "above" the one that is showing further down than you expect

3) (remote possibility but check anyway) there might be a white border of some width around the textbox, so look at the three Border properties.

>L<

Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:23 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

I've unchecked 'snap to grid' but no luck there.  The padding values are all consistent at 2pt even for the text boxes that render correctly.  Can Grow property didn't seem to help either.

The odd thing is that the behavior seems to always happen at the same location on the report regardless of the text boxes present.  I took out my offending textboxes and moved a couple of textboxes that were rendering correctly into the original position of the offending textboxes and the behavior repeats itself.  So this is leading me to beleive it is not an issue with the controls themselves.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 3:05 PM
  • This is sort of cool <g>. (Sorry but it is...)

Are the offending areas of the report inside some other data region (nested) that makes them different from other areas?

>L<

Monday, July 16, 2007 3:43 PM
  • I've been playing with the report and it seems to render to PDF fine when I click export and generate a PDF file.  In the report viewer at run time is where it still has rendering issues and things look funny.  An export to PDF and a subsequent hard copy print look fine.  Even though it ouputs fine this I am worried that the client is going to want it to look normal in this report viewer even though none of the people who see the report will ever look at it from the report server and are only concerned with a hard copy.  They're exec types that get a stack of report print outs on their desk.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 4:51 PM
  • Wow, the Report Designer never ceases to amaze me.  Ok, it was rendering funny in the preview pane but exported to PDF fine.  Well I've continued to work on a different section of the same report and now the original fields that were acting all crazy early are now behaving.  What the heck!!!?    I am about to throw the PC out the window!
    Monday, July 16, 2007 7:30 PM
  • I'm glad you're keeping a sense of humor about it <s>. 

Sometimes when "these things just happen" it's like the RDL has some junk in it and it's just not getting cleared out.  I'd look at the XML directly next time.  It could be you had some extra cut and pasted fields in there you couldn't see or stuff left over from a cut/delete.  It's definitely happened to me too.. usually I can find the junk if I look at the source directly.  (FWIW this happens A LOT with deleted groups, sometimes I get so frustrated I just start the report over ... and it's fine in the "clean" version... )

>L<

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:43 PM
  • I guess it's a risk we take when we use WYSIWYG type editors and MS tools are notorious for generating nasty code.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 10:11 PM