none
Creating and using Outlook Message form RRS feed

• Question

• I have spent the last two hours creating a custom Outlook message form that I want people to use when making a recurring report.

In the Design Form dialog (Message) tab, I have the To, CC, and Subject field.
    I deleted the big white box and added all of my form labels and fields.

When I choose Developer>Run this form it looks perfect.  Just what I want.

When I create a new message based on the form, the form comes up and again looks perfect and I can fill it out.

Here is the problem, when I send the message to myself to review, the message opens and all of my data fields are gone and replace by a big white empty field just like I had sent a blank message to myself.

What am I doing wrong?

Greg Maxey Please visit my website at: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

Have you designed the read page accordingly?

If no, please try to design the read page and send another message to test.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:46 AM
  • Greg - you probably want to set the same page for both read and create. That way what you see when you create and send the email are the same as what you would receive. Of course anyone else using the same form also needs to have it published in their Outlook.

Just uncheck the Separate Read Layout toggle shown in the screen shot above.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Greg,

Did you publish the form somewhere?

I'd suggest reading the Frequently asked questions about custom forms and Outlook solutions page. Pay special attention to the first question and answer. Also you may find the Saving and Publishing Outlook Forms article helpful. See also How to Determine Where to Publish a Form .

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Of course I published the form.  If I didn't publish it then how could I have used it to create a new mail message and send a test message to myself?

Now here is a new twist.  I moved some of my labels and fields to "p2" and published. 

When I create a new message based on the form, I filled in some of the data on both the "Message" page and "p2" and sent it to myself.  When I open it, again I get what appears to be a blank message (a big white field with my default mail content (e.g., my standard signature) line) and all of the form labels and fields are gone, but if I click on "p2" I will see the data there.

As I mentioned in my first post.  When I designed the form, I deleted the big white default message body and replaced it with the actual labels and fields I wanted to create.

When I create a new message based on the form the message opens with my custom form (not the big empty white message body box), but when I send the message to myself and open it, that big white empty message body box is back.

Why. 

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Did you have a chance yo check the message class of the arrived message? Does it correspond to your custom form?

Also you may find the following link helpful http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=64 .
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Have you designed the read page accordingly?

If no, please try to design the read page and send another message to test.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:46 AM
  • Jeffrey,

Probably not.  Had no idea there was read page :-(.  I'll have another look.  Thank you

Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:20 AM
  • Greg - you probably want to set the same page for both read and create. That way what you see when you create and send the email are the same as what you would receive. Of course anyone else using the same form also needs to have it published in their Outlook.

Just uncheck the Separate Read Layout toggle shown in the screen shot above.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Ken/All

Thanks for you input and valuable information here.  I got ahead of myself though. I didn't know that everyone who received the message would have to have access to the same form.

It is dead in the water.  Lessons learned though so thank you all again.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Greg,

As a workaround you may develop an add-in with Outlook form. In that case the add-in should be installed on all PCs where you need to see the data. You can read more about this in the Creating Outlook Form Regions article in MSDN.

Friday, August 15, 2014 1:07 PM