EW4 Reports (Conflict) RRS feed

• Question

• In EW4 I notice the internal hyperlinks and extermal hyperlinks have a huge conflict when comparing to Front Page report.

Example,
    In EW4 the report is showing "Internal hyperlinks" to be 58,940
    In Front Page, the same site has "internal hyperlinks" to be 1,339,390

That is a major difference in reporting.

Similar situation in hyperlinks, and external hyperlinks.

I am assuming that when I go to the reports tab it is not fully searching the pages for links.  Am I supposed to click some sort of special setting or refresh something to properly run the report. 

Anyone else noticing a conflict in the reporting. 

Monday, June 7, 2010 11:56 PM

Answers

• In EW4 I recalculated hyperlinks and then went to "reports".  The system then gave me an error message and indicated that it needed to close the program.  I turned the program back on and went directly to the "reports" view and the report now is a MUCH closer match to my Front Page report.  It is not exact, but it is very close.  For example, before the hyperlink recalculate funtion internal hyperlinks showed as 58,940.  Now after recalculate, it shows 1,339,699.  Which is very close to what showed on Front Page when I looked at the report.  Therefore, the solution to this problem appears to be go to Tools >> Recalculate Hyperlinks.
    • Marked as answer by ApparelSearch Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:56 AM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:55 AM

All replies

• Just a thought, but your question has an implicit assumption, actually two, that might limit any possible responses. The first is that someone is using both EW4 and FrontPage. Second is that they are using EW4 and FrontPage on a site with, hmm, what did you say a while back? 20,000 pages? You might find the first. Dunno 'bout the second... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Paladyn : I am not understanding your point. It is not an "assumption", regarding which two programs I am using.  I am using both EW4 and Front Page.  I believe I listed that in my message.  In regard to your second question, I do not think the page number is relevant to the question, but yes this is on a site with over 20,000 pages if that helps you determine a cause to the reporting discrepency.

My point is that it is "one" website.  Both Front Page and EW4 have a report that shows information regarding a few different types of hyperlinks.  I am courious why the EW4 does not list all of the hyperlinks.  The number really does not matter much to me as I typically do not look at it, but because I am new to EW I was checking out the reports section and noticed the number was "way" different then when viewing on front page.

Possibly, I am supposed to refresh something on EW4.  Anyone else notice a diffent reporting count for links with EW4 & Front Page (or earlier EW versions).  Just not sure if this is a glitch (or maybe my front page number was wrong and EW4 is correct; however I do not think so)

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:43 AM
  • On a site with 1740 files, FrontPage 2003, EW3 and EW4 all report the same number of files, hyperlinks, internal hyperlinks, and broken hyperlinks.
    The only possible (though unlikely) discrepancy is the number of slow pages - FrontPage shows 25 slow pages with 20secs at 28kbps, EW4 shows 12 slow pages with 20secs at 56kbps - this discrepancy will probably disappear if the speeds are made identical.

Try running Tools->Update Hyperlinks and see if that makes a difference.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Do you have a filter set in the reports for one program and not the other? if you are only looking at (or excluding) one type of file or a particulr folder there will be a difference.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:56 AM
  • In EW4 I notice the internal hyperlinks and extermal hyperlinks have a huge conflict when comparing to Front Page report.

Example,
    In EW4 the report is showing "Internal hyperlinks" to be 58,940
    In Front Page, the same site has "internal hyperlinks" to be 1,339,390

That is a major difference in reporting.

Similar situation in hyperlinks, and external hyperlinks.

I am assuming that when I go to the reports tab it is not fully searching the pages for links.  Am I supposed to click some sort of special setting or refresh something to properly run the report. 

Anyone else noticing a conflict in the reporting. 

IIS based site or disk based site, If disk based is EW4 set to manage the site using hidden metadata?

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I do not think any special filters are set on one program verse the other. I do not know how to set filters so I am assuming it is set as default if their is a default setting. Regarding the question is it a IIS based site or disk based. I was trying to review the report from my desk top computer, not live on the server if that helps answer the question. However, the site may have been some how connected to the server because I went into the report view after being in the publish view (I had tries to upload which did not work; which is a separate issue I am trying to figure out). I have not yet tried to run an update hyper links. That can go for hours... Maybe I will start that process tonight and check in the morning.
    • Marked as answer by ApparelSearch Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ApparelSearch Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:48 AM
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:23 PM
  • In EW4 I recalculated hyperlinks and then went to "reports".  The system then gave me an error message and indicated that it needed to close the program.  I turned the program back on and went directly to the "reports" view and the report now is a MUCH closer match to my Front Page report.  It is not exact, but it is very close.  For example, before the hyperlink recalculate funtion internal hyperlinks showed as 58,940.  Now after recalculate, it shows 1,339,699.  Which is very close to what showed on Front Page when I looked at the report.  Therefore, the solution to this problem appears to be go to Tools >> Recalculate Hyperlinks.
    • Marked as answer by ApparelSearch Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:56 AM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:55 AM