SQLServer 2008 Tools and SQL 2005 Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a SQL Server 2005 cluster on the o/s Windows Server 2008 R2.  I have been attempting to connect to the cluster from my Windows 7 dekstop with my SQL Server 2008 Tool set.  I have been unable to attach to this cluster since its creation. The firewall is temp off, remote connections in the surface area configuration is set to pipes and tcp/ip and the Browser surface is up and running.

I ran Wireshark against the cluster and I could see that there was UDP conversations for ms-sql-m (SQL Port) but that was as far as it would get.  I am using a named instance so not using 1433, but I do see the cluster offering up high RPC ports but the client never responds after the initial UDP response.

When I noticed that there was a two way conversation taking place, I went to a seperate machine and fired up SQL Server 2005 Tools and I was easily able to attach to the cluster.  So my question is -

Are there any known incompatibilities between SQL Server 2005 cluster services and SQL Server 2008 Tool set?  I can use my 2008 tools to attach to a non-clustered SQL Server 2005 w/o issue.

Error when attempting to connect:

A network-related or instance-specific error occured while establishing a connection to sql server.  The server was not found or was not accessible.  Verify that the instance name is correct and the SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

I did start this issue under SQL General, but it appears to have turned in its problem so I thought I should re-open a new thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/e20405f6-9b6d-44f2-9861-73e2b8b2172a

Thx

--
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
    2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
    http://www.pbbergs.com    Twitter @pbbergs

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
    posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

>>I ran Wireshark against the cluster and I could see that there was UDP conversations for ms-sql-m (SQL Port) but that was as far as it would get.  I am using a named instance so not using 1433, but I do see the cluster offering up high RPC ports but the client never responds after the initial UDP response.

From above description, the SQL Server TCP/IP port (outbound) is blocked on the client server (Windows 7). Have you run any antivirus or antispyware on the client server which may block the outgoing SQL Server TCP/IP port?

If this is the case, please configure antivirus or antispyware to allow outbound SQL Server TCP/IP port, you may also configure Windows Firewall to allow this outbound port on the client server.

If you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, September 3, 2010 9:10 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are there any known incompatibilities between SQL Server 2005 cluster services and SQL Server 2008 Tool set?

I didnt see any issue. I am always connect my SQL server clusters(2000, 2005 and 2008) from SQL 2008 management studio.

Ramesh S
    www.sequalserver.com
    Friday, August 27, 2010 6:39 AM
  • That is what I thought.  Are you using Windows 2008 R2 as your base o/s?  I doubt that, that should have anything to do with it but that is what I am using.  My client is Win7.

--
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
    2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
    http://www.pbbergs.com    Twitter @pbbergs

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
    posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 27, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Hi Paul,

>>I ran Wireshark against the cluster and I could see that there was UDP conversations for ms-sql-m (SQL Port) but that was as far as it would get.  I am using a named instance so not using 1433, but I do see the cluster offering up high RPC ports but the client never responds after the initial UDP response.

From above description, the SQL Server TCP/IP port (outbound) is blocked on the client server (Windows 7). Have you run any antivirus or antispyware on the client server which may block the outgoing SQL Server TCP/IP port?

If this is the case, please configure antivirus or antispyware to allow outbound SQL Server TCP/IP port, you may also configure Windows Firewall to allow this outbound port on the client server.

If you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Friday, September 3, 2010 9:10 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 3:09 AM