none
Website Backup/Save As RRS feed

• Question

• In going through the book "Teach Yourself EW 4 in 24 Hours", I find that I
    invariably make mistakes and must 'clean up' after myself. When doing this,
    things can get pretty hairy, so I had a brain "f@rt" in that I decided to
    save my work, then "Save As" to the next step. i.e. Save my work so far as
    "Hour 3" and then Save As "Hour 4". Once that's done, I can then leave "Hour
    3" alone and continue to work with "Hour 4". Save "Hour 4" and Save As "Hour
    5", etc. OK, if I could do that, instead of having to start over, I could
    just go back to the last "Hour" that didn't have errors and begin again.

The problem is that thus far, I haven't found a way to do this. When I try
    to Save As, it wants to save 'default.htm' rather than the complete site. If
    I highlight the site (path), all of the Save options are grayed out.

I have attempted to find "backup" in the help files, but it's just not
    there. Sigh . . .

Am I just being overly optimistic that I can do this, or am I just being
    dense?

Sure, going back to the beginning reinforces what I've learned so far, but
    I'm getting pretty good at the first few hours and not learning anything
    going forward . . .

Thanks for any help that can get me on my way. I'd love to learn some new
    stuff! :)

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:28 PM

Answers

• I tell students to create a folder for each week. Then copy from the previous week to the current week when you start the next section. Save as only works for the currently open file not for files attached to it such as css files for example.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Ward Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:48 PM
  • When I save milestones (the usual term for what you are talking about, BTW ;-), I don't do it in EW, because doing so may have unusual (expected, but unusual) consequences, such as EW "helpfully" adjusting links in the copy to refer to new paths, that kind of thing. Instead, I use an external file manager (PowerDesk Pro in this case), right-click the entire site folder and copy it, and give the copy a meaningful name, e.g. "AB-copy-8-2-11-B4-adding-rotators."

Granted, grabbing the whole folder is profligate of space, but it's only a milestone copy and not meant to be permanent. And having all resources included makes re-copying it in the event of a need to roll back to it a piece of cake.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:39 PM

All replies

• I tell students to create a folder for each week. Then copy from the previous week to the current week when you start the next section. Save as only works for the currently open file not for files attached to it such as css files for example.

For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:48 PM
  • When I save milestones (the usual term for what you are talking about, BTW ;-), I don't do it in EW, because doing so may have unusual (expected, but unusual) consequences, such as EW "helpfully" adjusting links in the copy to refer to new paths, that kind of thing. Instead, I use an external file manager (PowerDesk Pro in this case), right-click the entire site folder and copy it, and give the copy a meaningful name, e.g. "AB-copy-8-2-11-B4-adding-rotators."

Granted, grabbing the whole folder is profligate of space, but it's only a milestone copy and not meant to be permanent. And having all resources included makes re-copying it in the event of a need to roll back to it a piece of cake.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:39 PM

Thanks, Cheryl. Through trial and error, I have my folders set up so that EW will open them properly (I think). I had to put them in the My Websites folder to work, although I initially wanted to ID them as my Sams 24 Hour practice files. No dice, cuz it wanted to name the Sams folder. :(

This will be a real pain in the tookus, so I am also trying Scott's solution.

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:12 AM

cheers,
    scott

Thanks for the proper terminology, Scott. That's one I'll put into my personal files.

I've downloaded PowerDesk Pro 8 trial and will be trying that out when I get back to my lessons. The price is certainly right! I'll also try Cheryl's solution out, since I'm open to the easiest solution, of course.

Space? Wasted space? With the size of today's hard drives!? Quite frankly, I have so much space I'll never be able to use it all as it is. :)

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:18 AM
  • You should know better than to use spaces in folder names. I don't put anything in the My Websites folder. All my sites are on my D drive.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:31 AM
  • You should know better than to use spaces in folder names. I don't put anything in the My Websites folder. All my sites are on my D drive.

I didn't put spaces in my folder names; the spaces here were for clarification. However, if I'm not mistaken, EW placed the "My Web Sites" folder in my Documents folder when it was installed. Or not . . . I really can't say for sure.

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:43 PM
  • I frankly don't recall when that folder was created, either. If memory serves, in XP it is created as "My Web Sites," and in Vista as "My Webs" (as I believe that XP's "My Documents" becomes simply "Documents" in Vista).

However, at this point in time, years later, I don't recall if the "My Web Sites"/"My Webs" folder is a default virtual folder (like My Pictures, My Music, etc.) created in Documents for all installations, or was only created as a result of a software install. I want to say that it was the former, but it has just been too long now to remember, and I have no "fresh install" OS configuration to look at to compare and either confirm or refute.

cheers,
    scott

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:59 PM