Vs2012 slows down Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Running vs2012 premium on W7, SP1, 32 bit

IE9 start up just fine with VS2012 running, however if a load a simple project then IE9 needs about 8 seconds to start up.

I tried several projects causing the same effect, but one older project did not and I have no clue what is the principal differences.

Anyone ?

Monday, September 3, 2012 1:27 PM

Answers

• Today VS2012 was updated regarding some javascript stuff, then the problem was gone.
    All is now fine regardless of setting in project/debug tab
    • Proposed as answer by عغات Friday, September 28, 2012 9:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Forrest Guo Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:12 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Eager2009,

Based on your description, it seems that your IE9 shows very slow when you open VS2012 projects. And at this time, please open the Tast Manager to see which product causes the high usage of local resources? Is it the VS2012? And what about the your computer's configuration?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:03 AM
  • Thanks Vicky.

Please note that the problem does not arise with VS just running, only with a project loaded.

Tried on another pc without problem.

Used Perfmon om VS, but did not find significant differences between empty VS and loaded.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Additional info:
    It seems like IE is the only application affected by this.
    IE process starts right away, but NetMon shows that no request packages is going out to default url until approx. 8 seconds.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:32 AM
  • Hi Eager2009,

After that simple project is launched, will your IE still shows very slow? And what about the CPU or memory usage in the Task Manager?

In addition, I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:33 AM
  • Hi Vicky

It does not matter if the loaded project is running or not, as long as it is loaded in VS it shows the problem.

I know it seems silly, but I cannot see significant changes in neither cpu load nor memory consumption (I also checked HDD access and netwotk utilization) after I start IE, a small bump occurs though after the approx. 8 seconds (when IE starts chewing something).
    I have tried using Task Manager, Resource Monitor and Performance Monitor to check the dynamics of used resources and I cannot see big changes.
    The machine has plenty resources available all the time (according to my observations using the 3 mentioned tools).

I will again remind you about the fact that the problem ssems to be machine specific, however the allover specs are similar except that the machine without problem uses a SSD where applications are installed, the VS files are stored on HDD in both machines though.

Please also note that it seems like IE is the only affected process and I have tried other processes which use network immediately after it starts, these are not affected so it seems like VS actually "holds back" IE for a while.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Eager,

Usually performance concern of IE comes from add-on loaded into IE process, will you try disable all addin then check if it fix the problem?

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

• Proposed as answer by عغات Friday, September 28, 2012 9:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Hello Forrest

Add-ons struck me too, disabled before I raised the matter, i.e. no addons, still problems.
    And it seems like it is not a "performance" problem, seems like not a huge amount of cpu cycles are consumed or similar.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:55 PM
  • "Process Monitor" could help you track the IE process. In Tools menu there is a variety of process summary. Like File summary, Registry summary etc.  You will find which thread in IE process runs the most.

thanks.

• Unproposed as answer by عغات Friday, September 28, 2012 9:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 4:03 PM
  • ProcMon shows a huge amount of information.

A short summary shows that iexplore.exe consumes approx. 45 milliseconds user cpu time and approx. 320 ms kernel cpu time.
    EDIT: There were 2 iexplore processes, seems like one process handles the request and the other one handles the response, anyway: the noted 45/320 ms was approx. evenly distributed within the 8 seconds after IE was started and the other process consumed approx. 405 (user) and 280 (kernel), all at approx. 8 seconds after IE was started.

Could you please hint me more specifically of what/how to do ?

• Edited by Eager2009 Monday, September 10, 2012 8:35 AM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:51 PM
  • I suggest you check the data in Process Mon: Process Activity summary in Tools menu.  Double click it will open details and open process timeline.

You may also filter failed operation in Process Monitor.

hope this gets you started.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Thanks Forrest

I Guess you mean Sysinternals ProcMon (you use the term "Process Mon" and "Process Monitor")
    If so, my previous e-mail was taken from there.

I kept the PML (log) file, but cannot upload here since it contains certain non-Public info, possible to send private e-mail ?

Below is the image of Process Activity Summary, the Whole timeline is approx 13 Seconds, starting just at IE open.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Will you please send me the thread URL to: forrestg@microsoft ? I can then send you ftp account to upload the log. This is safe way :)

thanks.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Further investigation shows that the problem is related to settings in VS2012 (loaded) project, properties, debug tab.

If the "Enable the Visual Studio hosting process" is set and none of the other two settings just above ("Enable SQL Server debugging" and Enable native code debugging") are set, then IE comes up slow.
    If "Enable the Visual Studio hosting process" is not set or it is set together with one or both other settings mentioned above, then IE comes up
    fast.

The "Snipping Tool" (included in window 7 and 8) shows the exact same behaviour, but not apps like word, excel, command prompt or NetMon 3.4.

It seems like this is a bug which manifests it self under special conditions
    (have tried to replicate the problem on another machine, first running W7 and then W8, without being able to reproduce the problem,
    however it is very much repeatable on the given machine).

EDIT: I am identical to Eager2009, added my self as a new user after threadstart due to some problem/misunderstanding a while back :)

• Edited by EuroEager Friday, September 21, 2012 3:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by EuroEager Friday, September 21, 2012 5:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Forrest Guo Saturday, September 22, 2012 3:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Forrest Guo Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:12 AM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Today VS2012 was updated regarding some javascript stuff, then the problem was gone.
    All is now fine regardless of setting in project/debug tab
    • Marked as answer by Forrest Guo Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:12 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Long time not using VS2012 on actual machine, problem is back again and just as annoying as before, symptoms exactly as described earlier.
    EDIT: Opening a pdf doc. by Adobe Reader X exhibits the same delay. Even starting Adobe Reader X without document shows the same. When a pdf document is opened it is also shown in IE history (!!) (but I cannot see that IE process has started using task manager)

• Edited by EuroEager Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:04 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:50 AM