none
File storage with ftps and https access

Question

• I already have a vm on Azure which is used for ftps data transfers.

I would like to add file storage to the existing server if possible, which will be accessed via https and ftps, with a file system that is segregated from the one currently in use so that the new ftps users will not have access to the current files.

1. Can I implement this on the same vm I currently use on Azure?
    2. If not, can the new vm be accessed via the same URL I use for the current AZURE system.  If that won’t work, can I create a sub-domain that points to the new server?
    3. Can you tell me what support plan I have now?

Our current UID is david@adldata.com and updates\adladmin2.

My phone number is (845) 422-0659.

Thank you,

--Ephraim Fuchs

-- Ephraim

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:46 PM

Answers

• You could install a web server and an ftp server on the VM - which would make their respective services available via the the same FQDN as the VM (assuming you assigned a public IP address and a public DNS name to the NIC associated with the VM - or placed the VM behind an Azure load balancer)

hth
    Marcin

• Marked as answer by EphraimF Friday, October 21, 2016 2:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by EphraimF Friday, October 21, 2016 4:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by EphraimF Monday, April 10, 2017 4:49 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:48 PM

All replies

• You could install a web server and an ftp server on the VM - which would make their respective services available via the the same FQDN as the VM (assuming you assigned a public IP address and a public DNS name to the NIC associated with the VM - or placed the VM behind an Azure load balancer)

hth
    Marcin

• Marked as answer by EphraimF Friday, October 21, 2016 2:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by EphraimF Friday, October 21, 2016 4:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by EphraimF Monday, April 10, 2017 4:49 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:48 PM
  • Please point me to documentation on how to do this.

• Do I create the web server via the Azure management console of via RDP?
    • If I do it via RDP, do I need to go the the console to assign an IP to it if I already have one for ftp?

-- Ephraim

Friday, October 21, 2016 4:24 PM
  • You would install the web server once you connect to the Azure VM via RDP. You manage the operating system on an Azure VM the same way you would manage the operating system of your on-premises physical computers or virtual machines.

As far as the public IP address is concerned, your VM must already have one if you can connect to it via RDP from your on-premises computer. You would want to configure this IP as static - by following https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/04/13/step-by-step-assigning-a-static-ip-address-to-a-vm-in-the-new-azure-management-portal/

You would want to also assign a DNS name to this static IP

hth
    Marcin

Friday, October 21, 2016 4:40 PM
  • Thank you.

I set up a web site and would like to set up an ftp server that only has access to the web site directories; not to the directories previously set up.

1. Can I do this by going to the web site and clicking on "ADD FTP Publishing"?
    2. Is an ftp server, in this case, built on top of the IIS server?
    3. I already have a certificate on the site for the original ftps server.  Can I use the same certificate for the new web site/ftps site?
    4. Will files I ftps to the new site be persistent, or do I need to purchase additional storage?
    5. What is meant by the "temporary" file system? Are files located there purged.  If so, what can the system safely be used for?

I know these questions are basic, but I'm a UNIX guy, and the help documentation on the Azure box doesn't come up.

TIA.

-- Ephraim

• Edited by EphraimF Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:15 PM Other questions were added.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:23 PM