Visual Studio 2012->Solution->Properties->Output type is missing WinMD option

Question

• What is the relationship between windows store aps and Metro apps and WinRT? 

I'm trying to follow the tutorial in the book WinRT Revealed top create my first WinRT app. Why does not my newly updated VS 2012 show the option to create a "Windows Metro Style" application? Instead I see Windows Store Front.

They have instructed me to create a javascript app and then a C# class library with a single sealed class. I'm supposed to right-click on the solution to edit the application properties to change the output type from "Class Library" to "WinMD". I don't see the option to for "WinMD". What is wrong? Do I need another service pack for visual studio 2012? I just applied SP2 (I think) today.

Thanks

Siegfried

siegfried heintze

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you using the RTM version of Visual Studio?

Also, moving to the tools forum.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:51 PM
  • You have to be sure you are picking the Windows Store C# class library option, not just the regular c# class library. I don't have the exact names in front of me, but look under the Windows Store heading in new project.
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:03 PM
  • How do I tell if I'm using the RTM version of Visual Studio? Help->About says Version 11.0.603.... Update 2.

OK, I recreated the sub-project and specified Class Library (windows store apps).

Now, I go to properties and I see for output type I have three options: Windows Store App, Windows Runtime Component, and class library. Which one is most like WinMD? According to the tutorial, I need to produce metadata? The main javascript app is going to reference this C# code and retrieve a string from it.

None of these look like WindowsMD? Is this book out of date? Do I need a better tutorial?

Thanks

Siegfried

siegfried heintze

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:15 PM
  • You probably want a Windows Runtime Component.

Your book is out of date. It looks like it was written for one of the pre-release versions of Windows 8 and still has old terminology. From its Amazon listing it was published in June 2012, and Windows 8 didn't ship until August.

See Creating Windows Runtime Components in C# and Visual Basic for more information on creating C# components to call from JavaScript.

--Rob

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 10:22 PM
    Owner