Debuger Breakpoints - Pocket PC 2003 Device RRS feed

• Question

• How do I use the debuger on a Pocket PC 2003 Device? 

When I attach to a process on the Pocket PC Device my breakpoints do not get hit.  There is a message on the breakpoint stating "The breakpont will not currently be hit.  No executable code is currently loaded at this location". 

I have placed my debug executable and .pdb file on the Pocket PC 2003 Device where the file is getting executed.

What do I need to do to activate the breakpoints?  What am I doing wrong?  What else should I check?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:21 PM

Answers

• Attaching to the application seems to work but telling the debugger where the debug version of the Pick.exe is (it resides on the mobile unit) seems to be the problem. 

I guess you misunderstood what I said. I am referring to the debug version of the .LIB file which you must tell the linker to link to your project (otherwise you'll get linker error) whenever you include an API header file. For example, the debug version of libcmt.lib is libcmtd.lib. If you link the normal version instead of of the debug version, some breakpoints may not be hit. This does not apply to your executable - you won't need to make any changes to this.

Can you put a breakpoint in the main application entrypoint (eg WinMain) and see if it gets hit? If not, make sure you compile application in debug mode and not in release mode. Check the configuration manager in the solution properties.

If the breakpoint in WinMain gets hit but other breakpoints do not get hit, the compiler may have failed to link some PDB (debug symbols) file during the build process.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:18 PM

All replies

• What application are you debugging?

This means that the part of the code (usually part of a DLL) has not yet been loaded into memory by the process attached to the debugger. It is also possible that debugging symbols are not linked properly. Make sure that you specify debug version (usually has the form ***d.lib) of the .LIB file, and not the normal version, in the linker properties.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Thanks. 

The application is Pick.exe and application that communicates via wlan access to a server.  I am attaching to the application through ActiveSync.  Attaching to the application seems to work but telling the debugger where the debug version of the Pick.exe is (it resides on the mobile unit) seems to be the problem.  I assume that it should be accessing the Pick.exe that is running on the mobile unit.  How do I get the Debugger to reference the Pick.exe that is running on the mobile unit?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Attaching to the application seems to work but telling the debugger where the debug version of the Pick.exe is (it resides on the mobile unit) seems to be the problem. 

I guess you misunderstood what I said. I am referring to the debug version of the .LIB file which you must tell the linker to link to your project (otherwise you'll get linker error) whenever you include an API header file. For example, the debug version of libcmt.lib is libcmtd.lib. If you link the normal version instead of of the debug version, some breakpoints may not be hit. This does not apply to your executable - you won't need to make any changes to this.

Can you put a breakpoint in the main application entrypoint (eg WinMain) and see if it gets hit? If not, make sure you compile application in debug mode and not in release mode. Check the configuration manager in the solution properties.

If the breakpoint in WinMain gets hit but other breakpoints do not get hit, the compiler may have failed to link some PDB (debug symbols) file during the build process.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:18 PM