IIS 5.1 DOA.. RRS feed

• Question

• User1470147683 posted

Hi Gang,

Here's what I've got.  I have IIS installed on my XP Pro Notebook.

Everythime I go to http://localhost or http://clashmore, the system asks me to log in.

I have removed IIS and reinstalled several times.  I also made sure my \inetpub was removed between installs as well.  I have tried with and without a firewall, no differences.  I've attached what happens when I run Wfetch below.  Does anybody have any ideas what I need to do to get my IIS working again?

PS With my firewall off, I can ping both localhost and clashmore (My machine name)

Couple of more things:  I have not modified any settings as far as IUSR_<Machine> since I reinstalled IIS, so everything would be set to it's defaults...

Netstat returns 0.0.0.0:80 and 127.0.0.1:80

Nick

Wfetch:

started....

WWWConnect::Connect("localhost","80")\nIP = "127.0.0.1:80"\nsource port: 1283\r\n
    REQUEST: **************\nGET / HTTP/1.1\r\n
    Host: localhost\r\n
    Accept: */*\r\n
    \r\n
    RESPONSE: **************\nHTTP/1.1 302 Object moved\r\n
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.1\r\n
    Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 01:33:50 GMT\r\n
    Content-Length: 121\r\n
    Content-Type: text/html\r\n
    Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDSSARBTBA=KCMLGELABDFHPLPPFHOBICBI; path=/\r\n
    Cache-control: private\r\n
    \r\n
    <head><title>Object moved</title></head>\n<body><h1>Object Moved</h1>This object may be found <a HREF="">here</a>.</body>\nfinished.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:40 PM

All replies

• User989702501 posted

The default localstart.asp redirect to iisstart.asp whereby the iusr_computer account does not has READ permission over the two files. So if you would like to skip the login prompt, grant READ permissions to the account. or login as user that has the acess right.

Friday, July 28, 2006 12:47 AM
  • User1470147683 posted

This is an out of the box installation on a machine not on a network.  The account I log in with is in the Administrators group.  Wouldn't the Windows Integrated  flag cover the rights issue so I stilll wouldn't see the login screen?

At least it did for a while on this machine until something changed.  That's what I'm hopefully trying to find.  I was hoping that a reinstall of IIS would put it back to an out of hte box state where things would work fine.

I did some additional checking:  I wrote a helloworld.asp page and it renders fine.  Same for HTML pages.  .Net pages just sit there and spin, even after aspnet_regiis -i is run in the right frame work.

Friday, July 28, 2006 4:55 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    No - Windows Integrated works with windows domains.  Make sure IUSR has NTFS permissions to the content in question.
    Friday, July 28, 2006 10:28 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    We have to look at the log file to see what's going on during the authentication process. and Next, it looks like it's asp.net problem and IIS is working fine. Eventually what do you get at the browser ? page can't be displayed? even a simple hello.aspx ?
    Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:58 AM
  • User1470147683 posted

Actually,
    I had 2 problems, the first was the IUSR_ account issue.

Now I just need to get IIS to serve my asp.net pages again and I'll be all set.

I've aspnet_regiis -i several times...  I've got a simple .Net label on the page and it just sits and spins.  Never renders or anything.  If I build a file system based page, everything renders fine...

I can't find any logging any where...

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks so much for the help!

Nick

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 12:08 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Check the System and Application event logs.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:46 AM
  • User1470147683 posted

There is nothing of consequence in the System log.  The only errors actually are DHCP related..  But that's because I was playing around with moving my DHCP server a bit. 

The only .Net log in the apps event log is tha tthe .Net optimizer failed to compile.

Otherwise, nothing else.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 10:33 AM
  • User989702501 posted

Sorry, been traveling. so you got 2 issues
    a) anonymous authentication. Has this been fix? you know the iusr acc permission?
    b) unable to serve .aspx page. Have you try reinstall .net framework?

Saturday, August 5, 2006 2:31 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

OK ...

What do you mean by a "file system based page"?

Monday, August 7, 2006 9:08 AM
  • User1470147683 posted
    Finally got everthing figured out...

A) Yep, somehow my IUSR_ account was missing so I was able to recreate it.
    B) Well, I use a cellphone connection to get to the Internet sometimes.  It installs an IP compression software inline so that what gets downloaded is smaller than actual size.  It's a nice then when it comes to staying under the byte site limit for web surfing, but apparently it inserted itself into the stream for ASPX as well.

Some how the .ASPX engine wouldn't function when that software was running.  As soon as it was removed, everything started working like a champ.  The ony thing I could guess at is that somewhere the additional .aspx stuff was being compressed wrong and it was causing a problem.

So, right now, all is happy in the universe...  Thanks for the help everybody!

Nick

Monday, August 7, 2006 11:05 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Well, I use a cellphone connection to get to the Internet sometimes.  It installs an IP compression software inline so that what gets downloaded is smaller than actual size.  It's a nice then when it comes to staying under the byte site limit for web surfing, but apparently it inserted itself into the stream for ASPX as well.
    Great!  It would have been hard for us to guess that ...
    Monday, August 7, 2006 11:22 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    Wahh.. cellphone ? wap ?  all the while I was thinking typical pc with IE browser :)
    Tuesday, August 8, 2006 1:08 AM
  • User1470147683 posted
    Nope, not WAP, just a regular PC and IE like you were thinking.  All the cellphone was/is is just a modem.  Nothing more.  And it's one I don't even use that much.  The problem is, it inserted a compression software between port 80 and the rest of the world.  A very transparent program.  The only think I can think of is that when it was receiving port 80 information, it was attempting to strip out information, to compress it.   I'm guessing the mangled information that also gets transmitted with an aspx page.  It was causing some pretty big screw ups.  (You don't see it on text, but you definitely see the compression on images).

And there was nothing to say port 80 traffic was being rerouted through this program.  Espically since regular HTML and ASP pages were working fine, then again, they don't have the non-visible aspx information that's transmitted back and forth, the stuff that looks like binary information.

Nick

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 7:25 AM
  • User2047060128 posted

Please please tell me more about how you found this and what you did to disable it. I think I am having the EXACT same problem. I've added a Cingular modem recently and my asp.net world on IIS has gone to the crapper. I am anxiously awaiting your response.

Thanks,

Patrick

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 10:17 PM
  • User989702501 posted

Oops.. I misread it... Thanks for the clarification.

Nope, not WAP, just a regular PC and IE like you were thinking.  All the cellphone was/is is just a modem.  Nothing more.  And it's one I don't even use that much.  The problem is, it inserted a compression software between port 80 and the rest of the world.  A very transparent program.  The only think I can think of is that when it was receiving port 80 information, it was attempting to strip out information, to compress it.   I'm guessing the mangled information that also gets transmitted with an aspx page.  It was causing some pretty big screw ups.  (You don't see it on text, but you definitely see the compression on images).

And there was nothing to say port 80 traffic was being rerouted through this program.  Espically since regular HTML and ASP pages were working fine, then again, they don't have the non-visible aspx information that's transmitted back and forth, the stuff that looks like binary information.

Nick

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 11:34 PM
  • User1470147683 posted

It's funny you mention Cingular.  That's my provider as well, with Connection Manager.  The offending program is something like ByteMobile.

I can give you more details, I have a link to a different web site thread that talks about disabling or removing the program completely.

It's definitely Byte Mobile causing the problem, and don't expect Cingular to have a club about it.  (I'm not dissing Cingular directly, I just don't think they are of developer kinds of issues out there)..

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 1:14 PM
  • User2047060128 posted

I am searching my hard drive for anything named bytemobile and not finding it. I also don't see any bytemobile tasks running.

And my IIS problem happens whether or not Cingular Comm Manager is running.

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 1:50 PM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Specifically what is the problem?  No response from ASP.NET requests or is there an error message?
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 2:32 PM
  • User1470147683 posted

I'm 99% sure (going from memory since I'm at work) that it's ByteMobile.  And CM doesn't have to be running at all for this program to be active  That's what made it so hard to figure out that was the cause.  Uninstalling CM takes off this extra program, reinstalling puts it right back on.

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 2:33 PM
  • User1470147683 posted

You get no response at all. Eventually the browser will time out, but it takes for ever for this to happen.

CM is installing a program in between port 80 IIS and outbound.  You don't see it when you are browsing non-local machines.  Only local IIS.  and it's only port 80.

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 2:45 PM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Yes - I know that's what you are seeing, just want to be clear what he is seeing as well ...
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 2:54 PM
  • User2047060128 posted

In my case this is what happens.

1. IIS and all related services will start OK. And I can go to http://localhost just fine and get the default pages.

2. When I go to a local ASP.NET 2.0 application (localhost/cart) it does nothing. After about 10 seconds my machine beeps. At that point I know some background task has died. None of the conventional IIS Services options work. I cannot stop/start/restart IIS Admin/World Wide Web Publishing/FTP. IIS has died but does not know it. I still have an INETINFO.EXE task running. Occasionally I will get an error in Event Viewer about this time (but not every time) of a problem with forms authentican/invalid token. But I believe that is a symptom not a cause.

3. If I go into Task Manager and kill INETINFO.EXE I can restart IIS and all related services OK.

I have reinstalled IIS multiple times and restart ASP.NET multiple times. The application itself has not changed for awhile.

I might trying playing around with that ByteMobile thing tonight. It requires a restart which I cannot do right now on this machine.

Now for mine I am not so sure it is ByteMobile. In the old version of CM it was a seperately installed program and you could go to add/remove and get rid of it. In the latest version of CM it is a config menu option to disable. I went and checked in Comm Manager for Cingular and it was already disabled. But there is an option to uninstall it. Here is the Sierra Wireless link on the subject. Cingular uses the Sierra Wireless 775 card.

http://mycusthelp.com/sierrawireless/supportkbitem.asp?sSessionID=&Inc=1248&sFilA=FAQ%20Category&sFilB=Products&sFilC=&FA=-1&FB=-1&FC=-1

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 2:55 PM
  • User1470147683 posted

Check your Admin->Services options.  I think I saw a thread some place that it's actually a service you can stop and disable.  You might be able to do that without it affecting your machine.  You  might also see it running in the task manager.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what my machine would do.  It only affected aspx files.  Not asp or html.  And I'm not so sure about the help page saying CM 4.5 or higher no longer installs the program.  I installed version 5.3 and that's where the problem showed up....  Unless it's an internal build or something....

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 3:28 PM
  • User2047060128 posted

I am so happy I could cry. This worked. I uninstalled the ByteMobile thing from inside commgr (did not find it in the services, but it still may have been there) and it all works OK.

THIS is exactly why the internet rocks. Could you imagine if I had to figure out this problem on my own without any external help.

Thank you. A deep down from the bottom of my heart thank you.

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 3:39 PM
  • User1470147683 posted
    You're quite welcome!  Just help me remember this the next time *I* go and reinstall CM.  (I already did actually, just made sure the compression software wasn't installed).

For others, I know Verizon use to install a compression software too, so maybe this might apply to you sometime in the future.

Good Luck!
    Nick
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 7:21 PM
  • User-823196590 posted

Great job guys!

The "beep" is an interesting symptom - that indicates there's a client type process involved ...

Thursday, August 10, 2006 5:17 PM