Apparently build location != installed location when debugging. How do you handle this? RRS feed

• Question

• I have files in my assets directory I would like to copy to the users folder.  Using:

Windows.ApplicationModel.Package.Current.InstalledLocation

The directory it returns is  ....\bin\Debug\AppX, and I then get the assets directory relative to this: ....\bin\Debug\AppX\Assets

However, the compiler actually copies my files to .../bin/Debug/Assets, and I don't know how to access this at run time, or how to tell my app isn't installed so I know it's not in ....\bin\Debug\AppX\Assets.

Yours in confusion,

Larry Maturo

Larry Maturo

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:12 PM

Answers

• I found the problem.  Some of the files where not in the main project, and they were not set to"Always Copy to Output".

Larry Maturo

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Friday, September 20, 2013 1:37 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 10:11 PM

All replies

• You can acces the "Assets" Folder like this:

StorageFolder assets = await Windows.ApplicationModel.Package.Current.InstalledLocation.GetFolderAsync("Assets");

It's the same for Debug and Release mode.

At first run you can then copy the files to your ApplicationData, or any other Folder.

For example:

StorageFile logo = await assets.GetFileAsync("Logo.scale-100.png");
    await logo.CopyAsync(Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder);

cheers

Life is unsure - always eat the dessert first!

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:36 PM
  • That gets me: ...\bin\Debug\AppX\Assets, but this is not where the files are. The compiler copied them to .../bin/Debug/Assets  How do I get the compiler to copy them to  ...\bin\Debug\AppX\Assets instead, which would be the better solution.

Larry Maturo

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Then check the build properties of the files in the Solution Explorer - they have to be set to Content and Copy Always.

Life is unsure - always eat the dessert first!

Friday, September 13, 2013 10:10 PM
  • I found the problem.  Some of the files where not in the main project, and they were not set to"Always Copy to Output".

Larry Maturo

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Friday, September 20, 2013 1:37 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 10:11 PM