none
Kinect SDK Feedback To Developers RRS feed

• General discussion

• My solution for problems with Kinect SDK unable to install:

1. Use 64-bit version of SDK for 64-bit OS, even if you want to develop 32-bit app. 32-bit SDK fails to install due to incorrect DIFX used (see msi log file) and says only - "wizard has ended prematurely". Maybe developers will add a check for installers, to say "Use 64-bit installer version for this OS"?

2. Another problem - .NET 4.0 Client Profile must be installed to install any version of SDK (Beta 1 - Beta 2 - 32 - 64), otherwise "wizard has ended prematurely" will be displayed. Maybe developers will add a check for installers, to say "Install .NET 4.0 Client Profile first", too?

P.S.: Sorry for offtopic, but when HeadOverHeals and Mirroring settings will be added to this SDK. It will be very usefull, to place kinect under the roof or backward the tracked man.

P.P.S: And maybe you can build SDK without shared DLLs from VC10 (Project settings -> c/c++ -> code generation -> Runtime library -> Select Multithreaded, not Multithreaded DLL)?

P.P.P.S: And maybe you can fix incompatibility of SDK with VC older VC2010 just by changing:

static_assert(E_NUI_FRAME_NO_DATA == 0x83010001, "Error code has changed.");

to

#if _MSC_VER >= 1600

static_assert(E_NUI_FRAME_NO_DATA == 0x83010001, "Error code has changed.");

#endif

in MSR_NuiApi.h file?

P.P.P.P.S: And maybe you can add possibility to get really unique id for kinect device, not the device path - as it changes on reinserting kinect to another usb port - serial number maybe - earlyer kinect hacks was able to do it, so kinect hw has serial number in eeprom or smth, sure.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:35 AM

All replies

• pid's and vendor id's (called vid's in driver dev.) are what are used to open up the kinect device its the same as opening a file except for that specific hardware device and passing data to it.

I agree that you should at least post about dotnet framework 4.0 full needing to be used for some of the vb.net samples I found on the blog microsoft because i almost didnt think the skeleton viewer code would compile then i changed one line of code and to dotnet framework 4.0 and it compiles.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:06 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Vid and Pid is not an unique ID - it is exactly same between two (or more) kinects, NuiInstanceName() or INDEX_UNIQUE_DEVICE_NAME gives us DevicePath, but it is not constant and can be changed in alot of ways - change usb port, for example. So the only really unique ID is serial number, flashed in kinect's EEPROM, "CL NUI Platform - Kinect Preview" - the first kinect for PC sdk - was able to give this ID, MS kinect SDK can't. So for now you simply can not work with two kinects normally - they will be muddled.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:19 AM
  • You can use serial number to identify the device but the people developing the device drivers will think your crazy and wont agree or it will be a property that might only be able to commerical devs for kinect later why do you need this anyways? (i visited the wdk people i know. But a good idea would be to ask them questions remember to ask for tim,doran, or pavel because most times the rest wont be able to answer half  your questions).

If i can use the kinects and have an array variable that is assigned the specific serial number to identify the each kinect INDEPENDENTLY by looping through the kinects why get it from eeprom? Also, i could have the user identify type in a serial number if need be for uniqueness but please tell me why other then a classroom of kids and some military simulations that what i've suggested above wouldnt work? The only sdk they would put it in would be the final kinect sdk for people developing apps for money.

Please can everything else above the developers or kinect team confirm as fixed, solution available on forums, or needs to be looked into.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt.

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:47 PM