none
App start up speed optimization RRS feed

• Question

• Playing with the HelloWorld app and with some others in the App Store, the startup time is on the order of 10 seconds+. The app's frame & title come up, but the frame's contents take forever to show up, with the "waiting" animated dots running in the meanwhile. This is even the case for HelloWorld which is locally hosted and which makes no explicit references to online resources.

Anybody have any ideas how to get start up time down to something reasonable? Maybe there's stuff I can cut out of the VS-generated project for some big savings? What kind of startup time can I expect in the best case?

This seems like a vital question for the entire community. Users are impatient. They won't be back if they try a couple of apps which take forever to start, giving the entire App market a black eye.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you point to which Hello World app are you referring to?

Are you referring to the default project that VS generates? Is it SharePoint-hosted or autohosted?

Regards,
    Chakkaradeep | http://twitter.com/chakkaradeep | http://www.chakkaradeep.com | http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chaks

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hi Chakkaradeep,

This is the Hello World project from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/apps/fp142161 that I typed in, so, yes, it's the default VS2012 project with a trivial amount of html & js added. It is autohosted on my local system which is btw a modern & fast one running Win7x64, SSD, quad core, 16GB, etc.

I also loaded 3 apps from the App Store, namely Word of the Day, Lucid Chart and Gliffy. Same maddening Loading... indidator for 10+ seconds in all cases.

Any thoughts?

Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:34 AM
  • Hello miles/kms

I was trying the same apps you mentioned (Word of the day, etc.)  on my Surface and they loaded in a couple of seconds. Regarding perf many possibilities can be causing this issue I describe a few ones below.

Unfortunately I don't have access to your environment but please also verify that your connection to the internet is responding as you expect. also are you using Office Preview? are you running this in a Virtual machine?

The default projects in VS are referring  by default 2 libraries one of them is jQuery and the other one is Microsoft Ajax. jQuery is a local copy (actually a NuGet) so that should load fast, Microsoft Ajax on the other hand is loaded dynamically and maybe this is what is causing your system to be a bit slow, it depends on the MS Ajax CDN perf, seldomly slow, although I have never heard in the order of 10s+. 

The other possibility is that published apps like "word of the day" are getting Office.js from a CDN that was designed  as a temporal solution to support the preview program, we have a final location way more fast and geo-located and we are in the process of updating those apps to point to it. This is another potential source of delay that again should not be  significant as you are describing.

we take performance really seriously, we know that for end users this is taken for granted, but creating fast apps is challenging, but the good news is that is nothing different that creating fast web solutions, and you can use the same techniques that are use in web development such as data caching. This is highly encouraged and can also be used in apps. In fact we do have a governance feature that will kill an app if it takes more than 5 seconds to respond.

So my recommendation to you is to verify your environment, verify you don't have orphan IE processes on your box when you are debugging, and give it another try, I hope next time you find it way faster.

thanks...

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:19 AM
  • Hi Juan --

These tests are being done on a real PC (no VM) with fast internet. For comparison, starting IE from the desktop until it shows its default page (google) takes ~0.5s. This is a Windows 7 PC; Surface isn't really the platform I'm worried about for Office apps. Not yet, anyway.

1) I did some tests with Wireshark, both with the local HelloWorld and with WordOfTheDay from the App Store. In both cases, I'm seeing the same pattern: 5 - 6 consecutive seconds are being wasted doing back-to-back LLMNR queries for WPAD, followed by a bunch of back-to-back NBNS reqs for the same thing; this pattern is repeated 2x. The queries are not replied to. Nothing else is happening during that time, and the Loading... dots are spinning. This is where the bulk of the wasted time is going. Needless to say, ordinary web browsing with IE doesn't do that.

2) Also, in the case of the local HelloWorld I'm seeing a rather lengthy SSL/TLS session with roaming.officeapps.live.com during which ~20KB is downloaded. Just this takes over 1 sec. This happens at the very end of the app's startup. Any way to get rid of this part of the death of 1000 cuts?

Any insight on #'s 1 or 2? If you're interested, I can post the Wireshark logs somewhere.

Thanks!

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:10 PM
  • MIles,

are you using the RTM build or you in the preview?

thanks!
    Juan.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:00 AM
  • RTM. This computer never had the preview installed, so there are no issues with a partially failed upgrade or anything like that.
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

Can you follow this blog post to collect the VS product installation log?  From that we can determine the software installed and if the installation is successful. Please share the log with us through http://skydrive.com

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:38 AM
  • http://sdrv.ms/Q8XkgN
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Sorry for the delay.

Windows Identity Foundation SDK 4.0 is a component that installed while you install "Microsoft Office 2013 Developer Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio ". Although it's installed, the log shows there's an error during its installation, in VSSetupEvents.txt:

"

Windows Identity Foundation SDK 4.0 -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738. The arguments are: , , ]

"

Solution:

You may want to uninstall and reinstall Office 2013 Developer Tools.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Sunday, December 9, 2012 5:50 AM
  • 'Fraid that's not it.

I had previously noticed that error, corrected the underlying error, then installed Windows Identity Foundation SDK 4.0 a la carte.

BTW, how fast are others seeing startup of Apps under Windows 7?
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:39 PM
  • 1-2 secs at most

Program Manager, Office Developer Platform.

Friday, March 8, 2013 2:51 AM