Web test vs. CodedUI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My client is asking me to do automated functional testing with Visual Studio Team Test 2008. However, after trying CodedUI in VS 2010, I believe I should use CodedUI because web tests work on HTTP layer - it is not "functional" like what I usually do with QTP or RFT.

Well, I'm writing a proposal to convince my client but I get stuck in finding advantages and disadvantages of both for comparison as well as a key reason to switch to VS 2010. You know, upgrading to VS 2010 costs, so it's not easy to make him say YES.

Any suggestion, I truly appreciate.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 9:38 AM

All replies

• Basic difference between Web Test and CodedUITest is, WebTest records only server calls and plays them back. It is mainly used to do functionality testing of the backend and using webtest you can also do performance testing of the Backend. But in case of CodedUITest it is recording the UI actions and playing them back through actions on the UI. Here the focus is to do real functionality and scenario level testing. With webtest you can find backend logic issues and with CodedUITest you can find both Backend and UI issues.

To answer your question on VS 2008 vs VS2010, you get lot of new features that is not available in VS2008. Particularly with repect to Test, we have added loads of features like, Test case management solution, Rich toolset to execute manual and automated testcases, CodedUITest that supports various MS platforms and Rich set of reports using SQL Reporting Services and Excel & Datawarehouse integration. If the customer has VS2008 licence there might interesting deals for existing customersto switch over to VS2010.

You can find detailed blogs below on CodedUITest.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mathew_aniyan/pages/content-index-for-coded-ui-test.aspx

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:09 AM
  • thanks for the info, Venkatesh.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Hi Venkatesh,

My Client wants to Automate his Web Application using VSTS. He has given me the liberty to choose between Web performance and Coded UI Test. I personaly feel that Coded UI would is a better option for Functional Testing as it actually interacts with the UI of the Application.

But, I am really not sure of the exact difference between Web Performance and Coded UI Tests.

I have couple of questions around Web Performance Test:

1) Can it be used for creating Functional SUites (I know it is not advisable but if not then what exactly is the limitation)

2) Say, if I have scenario of loging in to the Application. I can automate this scenario using Web performance test as well as it can take input from me and can also click on the Login button, Also, I can put assertions on it.
    Then why can't it be used for Functional Testing.

3) Please provide an example where Web Performance can't be used for automation and Coded UI can be used for the same.

4) Does selecting a browser from 'Test Settings' really make any difference in Web performance testing since it does not instantiate any browser during its execution

It would be really helpful if you can clarify my doubts regarding Web Performance Tests, eagerly waiting for your reply.

Thanks in advance !!

Simit

Monday, December 17, 2012 7:02 PM