none
ReportViewer - Cannot run two instances in parallel and can not stop even a single instance RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with the ReportViewer component. 

I am running inside an Ajax TabContainer and each report gets it own tab. The problem occurs when one reports take longer than expected (like 10 minutes) and i would like to process another one, or to close the existing one. opening another ReportViewer wait for the previous one to finish, and there is no option to close the previous one.

Is there anyway to run multiple instances of ReportViewer in one page in parallel or to close an existing ReportViewer which takes too long to complete rendering

Any ideas ?

Shimon

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:47 AM

All replies

• Are you not able to cancel a long-running report by simply clicking the Cancel link in the spinning wait control?
    Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Thx for the response

I guess i am missing something.

I don't see any cancel button. Is there some way to add it?

Thx.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Make sure that the ReportViewer.ShowWaitControlCancelLink property is set to true. It should show up under the spinning wheel but inside the wait control's rectangular box.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Well I've seen this method before but it does not exist although it's all over the documentation. this is the error i get for using this piece of code:

private void DisplayReport1(string path)

{

ReportViewer1.ShowToolBar = true;

ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Local;

ReportViewer1.AsyncRendering = true;

ReportViewer1.SizeToReportContent = false;

ServerReport serverReport = ReportViewer1.ServerReport;

ReportViewer1.ShowWaitControlCancelLink = true;    <------ added the method

serverReport.ReportServerUrl = reportServer;

serverReport.ReportPath = path;

serverReport.Refresh();

}

I get the error:

Error 1 'Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer' does not contain a definition for 'ShowWaitControlCancelLink' and no extension method 'ShowWaitControlCancelLink' accepting a first argument of type 'Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Projects\Web\ReportViewer\ReportViewer\ReportViewer.aspx.cs 68 27 ReportViewer

Have you seen someone actually using this function??

Thx

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:47 PM
  • This is a new property in the VS2010 ReportViewer control. I should have clarified it.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:19 PM
  • I tried this also and removed the Reportviewer 2008 and chagned it to 2010.  What i missed in this whole uninstall-install process is that version 2008 was not removed properly and was still present in the "Add reference" control in visual studio (version 9), and the new installed version 2010 did not appear in that same control (although it is present in the GAC).

Now i am struggling to get it into this "Add reference" form in visual studio

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thx in advance

Shimon

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Check the target .NET version of your project. The VS2010 ReportViewer targets only v3.5 or v4.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Hi Cephalin

I struggled with this problem quiet a while with no solution. The ReportViewer component does not appear in my visual studio references.

Here is more data:

• Running widows 7 Enterprise
    • Visual studio 2008
    • Did all the reboot after install....
    • The component is present in the GAC ( along with the version 9.0 which i have removed...)

makes any sense?

Thanks
    Shimon

Sunday, June 6, 2010 6:49 AM
  • Question on SSRS 2008 R2/ Report Manager --

If a user clicks on "View Report"...and report starts to load... the animated gif comes online "Loading..." with the "Cancel" link option...

If I click on Cancel, the report stops loading on my IE window.  This is great.

But does SSRS stops the execution of the report? or does SSRS continue loading unbeknown to the end-user?  Does SSRS Service stop itself from running/execution that report (rsaborted?) and then does SSRS also calls sql to say, stop query execution?

Are there more details on this: ShowWaitControlCancelLink ? 

Monday, October 11, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Hi edgarsanchez40,

The cancel link only stops the local processing. The server, if it has a long running query, will continue to process the request but not surface the results on the client.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:49 PM
  • hi Brad Syputa,

Since you are from Microsoft i need a small clarification.

Server Configuration.

Report Viewer Control 2010.

SSRS 2008.

(.rdl) Files in 2005.

case 1. when i give the the required parameters and click the View Report button the report gets generated. But during the course of processing the report i get a spinning image with a cancel link. But when i click the cancel link, it is not performing any action. If some one can explain me the reason.

But when i am performing the same secenario with [SSRS 2008 AND (.rdl) 2008] and clikc the cancel link, the query /report processing halts immediately.

case 2. When i am previewing the report, there i have an option of zooming like "page width", "whole page", "500%", "200%", "150%" etc.. when i am viewing the report under [SSRS 2008 AND (.rdl) 2008] all the option for zooming given above is working fine. But when the same report is view in the above Server Configuration the options "Page Width" and "Whole Page" of the "Zoom" dropdown are not performing any actions. If you could tell me as to why is this happenening?

Regards,

Venkat

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:16 AM
  • Cancel link does nothing for me either.  Doesn't work.

- A Managed Coder

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:51 PM