Secure mp3 streaming RRS feed

• Question

• User1113446404 posted

Hi all,

I am trying to write an app that will allow my company to sell 30-day licenses to mp3 recordings of classes. Basically they want to have the mp3 play in the browser without the user having the ability to save it. If you pay, you get access to the specific page that has a given mp3 on it for you to listen to. Once 30 days are up, you can't get to that page anymore. That part is easy, it's the "keep the user from saving the mp3" part that's giving me a hassle. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't do much about the individuals who have audio stream rippers. But the vast majority of people using this (from what we've gathered) aren't that tech-savvy.

I have code to hide URLs and serve up data in binary to the browser (i.e. PDFs normally) and that works fine, but one could always just Save as... for this type of thing and get a copy. Any thoughts on a way to get it to the user without that ability attached to it? I'm not too keen on writing a player in Flash or anything, so if anybody has a great idea I've love to hear it.

Thanks,

Al

Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:01 PM

All replies

• User-802213120 posted

If it's an actual .mp3 file and that's what you need to serve up then there's not too much you can do to prevent the user from simply pointing at the URL and downloading it.  About the best you can do is obfuscate the fact that it is an mp3, which it sounds like you are doing.  That should be enough to frustrate the average Joe Blow.

The optimal solution is to use an audio format that supports DRM.   I've never done that myself, so I don't know what it entails.

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:41 AM