none
question about the driver files needed to so i can deploy a project over a school network. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to deploy the driver files for the kinect when i get done with my project. I have a kinect project that will have a driver that when typing in code from here send the apporiate kinect parts down the chain (mostly get hand coordinates and recognize a gesture as a mouse click from kinect and pass them down the way to an emulate mouse).

Heres a very simple view of the topology of the driver:

kinect (hand coord. and click gesture here) parts -> emulate mouse driver.

I really want windows to do this but i want it done as a emulated mouse driver. For instance, one modified generic mouse driver gets installed everytime a person gets recognized by kinect.

Any help on the core files is good but these core files would mostly likely not be seen by the end user. I need them anyways to make an emulated mouse. Its an approach im trying to take to avoid having to write code to draw some line for the kinect as a mouse and it would let the kinect be used like a normal mouse and accept input as one. Eliminating need to have direct kinect code. Maybe some dragging code too but for my tasks at work just passing coordinates of the hand to the mouse pointer created onscreen would be fine. Heres my project site if you want to upload samples or help out with it: http://kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com.

BTW, not deplying them now finishing my project above so i can delpoy them later for teachers.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:01 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, a driver-only install is not available at the moment with Beta 1 Refresh SDK. It's one of the things we're thinking about for the future, though, so thanks for the feedback.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    • Marked as answer by The Thinker Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:11 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:53 PM

All replies

• any help? Someone know the files at all?
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Unfortunately I don't know what the appropriate files are to update mouse drivers on the fly, but your project seems to be getting more and more interesting :)

You could try forums dedicated to driver development such as http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wdk/threads or http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/

Good luck!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:10 AM
  • Sometimes the wdk forum guys dont answer you or are a bit stuck up compared to people on these forums. I will try sevenforums.com. But the driver that is installed with the kinect sdk where can i find the important files to distribute? Like when kinect appears in the device manager where are those files for the kinect? You have been helpful in some instances eddy and the kinect people have been very helpful.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 9:23 PM
  • well, the installation process for kinect drivers is a little more complicated than just copying some binaries into a pre-defined location. Is there a reason why you can't just use the installation .msi? If you want to run kinect SDK & driver installation automatically when you detect that some event has happened in a user's machine, you can run command "msiexec /passive /i KinectSDK64.msi" under the covers.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:20 AM
  • I dont want it installed for all users though i just want the driver files to install because i will integrate them with multipoint and install some emulated mouse drivers that are really just recompiled generic windows drivers that i renamed. Please help me with a install like you would do for a network administrator install of adobe reader or flash which is silent but i dont want the sdk files to be accessible to the end user just my program but it does it's thing when needed. It saves me hard ache because my teachers like to start clicking random things when a problem ensues and messing around might make my program malfunction. It's more teachers because some are power users and can install and students come in when they stepped into the hallway and mess around with things.

I figured out where to start i might not need a modified mouse driver or maybe just a recompiled mouse driver with a new name and be able to send events to an emulated or falsely created device.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Unfortunately, a driver-only install is not available at the moment with Beta 1 Refresh SDK. It's one of the things we're thinking about for the future, though, so thanks for the feedback.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    • Marked as answer by The Thinker Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:11 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Please make one i will be forever grateful because then i could load the default windows generic mouse driver with the kinect driver without installing the sdk. Plus, all your doing is installing that device into windows and kinect runtime can you include the filter for the camera on this forum if you make a redistributable package? Moreover, a package like this would be a great step towards your commerical avenue of this dev kit/some important that i recommend be available to commerical kit devs in the future.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:09 PM