how to receive SMS in a web application ? RRS feed

• Question

• User1320663170 posted
    i am working on a project which sud allow any1 to send a SMS say "Taxi" to a particular number. our web applicaton sud receive this request & the sender number. our operator wud then call on hte number & verify status..

how do i go abt this . plz help me out......[:)]
    Monday, April 25, 2005 10:48 PM

All replies

• User1293147255 posted

Hi persepherone!!!

What you want to do is actually quite easy.

If you only want to make use of a few words, then your best bet is to purchase your desired keywords on a shared number. But if you want many keywords (and can afford it), then you're better-off getting your own dedicated number.

Your location  (i.e. which country you are in) also plays an important role due to legislations, but in any case, you basically need to find an SMS supplier who will forward your sms messages to your website's server.

That's it!!!

It's really really late here and so i'm off to sleep. If you need more help let me know.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:05 AM
  • User1320663170 posted
    Thank you fareen for yur reply.
     we just want to register a few keywords ("taxi" for a start) on a shared number.. the project is for the city of bangalore in india. we have Hutchison , Reliance, Airtel etc as service providers. think i sud approach them to get our keyword registered........but how will the sms be forwarded to my web server. do i have to make a web service for that ? secondly , R there any software ir source code in ASP.net available for this.........

Thanks once again for yur help......[:)]

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:31 AM
  • User1293147255 posted

No problem.

Well, it depends on your service provider. The most common protocol for sending and receicing SMS between network operators is known as SMPP, but this is really complicated and way over most of our heads.

So your chosen supplier would have to convert the SMS messages received by your keywords into http requests and then send those requests to your server.

For example, http://www.yourserver.com/receive.asp?from=1234567&to=7654321&message=taxi+can+i+have+a+taxi+please&timestamp=20050501101010

You would then use the values that you receive in any way that you like.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:00 AM
  • User1320663170 posted
    that was quite informative.............
    i think i got the basic idea,.........we will soon be contacting our sevice provider on this.........
    ty once again

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:34 AM
  • User1293147255 posted

Glad to be of help.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:01 AM