expression blend 4 rtm RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know when blend rtm  will be available for msdn subscriptions ?? It would be nice to see this around the same time

sql 2008 r2 will be introduced and hopefully the final silverlight 4 product will be introduced....

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:38 PM

Answers

• Thank you for listening and caring.  I am really disappointed with your answer.  It would be really nice for the expression studio 4 and expression blend teams to announce when this product would be available for the final version to msdn subscriptions  I would greatly appreciate if you passed that information back to them.!!! It would make your job easier as well. I will mark this post as answered. Have a great day.....             

• Marked as answer by wm_s Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:35 PM

All replies

• I can't comment on Blend 4 availability, but Silverlight 4 was released along with VS2010.  http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Thank you for listening and caring.  I am really disappointed with your answer.  It would be really nice for the expression studio 4 and expression blend teams to announce when this product would be available for the final version to msdn subscriptions  I would greatly appreciate if you passed that information back to them.!!! It would make your job easier as well. I will mark this post as answered. Have a great day.....             

• Marked as answer by wm_s Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:35 PM
  • The launch is happening now (6/7/2010).  Expression Studio 4 is now on the subscriber download site.  I was unhappily surprised to see that Sketchflow is now only available as part of the Ultimate subscription level.  Too bad I'm only at Premium.  I enjoyed using Sketchflow in Blend 3, but don't have the $$$ to spend to keep using it in 4.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 4:47 PM
  • I couldn't agree more.  It is indeed disappointing that SketchFlow will now only be the in realm of the Utimate edition.  Given the competition that exists around the other products (Web, Design, Encoder) it would seem unecessary to have 3 SKUs with very little differentiation between them.  Still, the original MSDN bundling on Expression was wrong the first time round.  Perhaps we'll see some change here eventually.  In the meantime, Balsamiq (while admittedly not the same as SketchFlow) will gain some interest here.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Wow!  A big disappointment for us Premium subscribers!  Changing the group subscription so that just I can use Sketchflow would be very costly.  So to get the additional Sketchflow piece, which came with Studio 3 in our previous MSDN subscription, I have to pay full retail for Studio Ultimate - which doesn't seem right.

I can understand and respect Microsoft's interest and right to modify their subscription model.  Software VARs, including my own company, do this all the time as a normal part of business.  I do, however, wish to offer a couple thoughts on this particular bundling choice by Microsoft in the hope that they may encourage its rethinking. 

I don't believe that the addition of Sketchflow in the Ultimate SKU will have any effect on anyone's decision to buy Ultimate over Premium.  The cost differential is too great due to other feature differences in the SKUs that overshadow the Sketchflow item.  In addition, the number of devs/designers using Sketchflow in teams will typically be a much smaller percentage of the whole team which again reduces the value add of Sketchflow in Ultimate.  Most purchasers would be better off buying the cheaper Premium SKU and then just a few copies of retail Studio for the few subscription users who will use Sketchflow (and again, they are paying full retail for just the Sketchflow differential - yuck).

I believe the result of this choice will not increase license revenue but will only serve to limit the reach of Sketchflow and the usefulness of Blend/Studio.  Personally, I think these tools greatly improve the viability of the WPF/Silverlight platform which is very robust but complicated to learn and use.  I believe it is in Microsoft's best interest to expand access to these tools, not reduce it - as is the case with MSDN Premium subscribers today.

Regards,
    Greg

Monday, June 7, 2010 7:19 PM
  • I couldn't agree more with Greg's comments.  I really fail to see how this benefits anyone.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Install Expression 4 side by side with 3 and keep using Sketchflow in 3 then...
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:44 AM