differents headers with ReportViewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The page header of a report has two Boolean parameters : PrintOnFirstPage and PrintOnLastPage.

But I wishes to have :

- a "big" header on the first page

- a "small" header on all others pages

or

- a header on the first page

- no header on all others pages

Is it possible ?

(I use ReportViewer in VB.NET with Windows in LocalMode.)

Thanks

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi dg78,

In our future release, you will be able to do as you are asking.

But in the current releases not possible. But there is one way to get close for your option #2. Use an expression for the visibility of the header so that when page count is >1, the visibility is set to false. The only issue is that the header still takes up space, it would just be blank, possibly the size of your top margin.
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Brad, I hate to jump in here, but you mentioned...."In our future release, you will be able to do as you are asking." When exactly is that "Future Release" going to happen? And equally as important, will VS 2005 and VS 2008 users be able to replace the current ReportViewer with this new and improved version? -- I think everyone on this forum would really like to know the answers to each of those questions.

Thanks,
    Fulano
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Feel free to jump in.

In the Reporting Services 2008 R2 release coming in 2010, there is a new feature called report sections. With this feature, dg78 will be able to achieve the type of behavior he is looking for if he switches to using server mode.

However, this feature is not currently slated to be in the next version of the local mode report control due to release timing. There is still a slim chance the feature would make it if ship dates change, but extremely unlikely. This feature would most likely end up in a post Dev10 release.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Thanks, Brad, for your answer and Mr_Fulano you are welcome

It is good but I want to use Local mode Report without using Reporting Services. So if I understand well this change don't be in VS 2010 but in the next release, perhaps in VS 2012.

Only because time but ReportViewer runs since VS 2005.

In the true life, the change for headers I asked, would be very useful for great reports.

Say to your Boss that developers and users can't wait always .. perhaps this change will be in VS 2010.
    We can dream.

Dominique

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Brad, first and foremost, I thank you for your honest response - I appreciate it!  Also, please don't take any of my comments personally, because they are not a dig at you, nor are they a dig at MS either. I truly believe that MS has done extremely magnificent things for the development world and I'm certain you are an asset to their development teams.

Having said that, I'd like to share with you...and perhaps you can share it with your boss and/or colleagues, my opinion regarding ReportViewer and the lack of focus its had over the past 5 years.

When MS acquired Fox-pro, I thought it would use the Fox-pro reporting model as one of its tenants for the, then fledgling, Visual Studio suite. Clearly, that was not the case! In fact, VS has lacked native (non-3rd party) report printing capabilities from its inception. How anyone would imagine that a professional development environment wouldn't require strong reporting capabilities is beyond me...! Perhaps if you live in a cave or you've never worked in the real business world, you could imagine the Utopian concept of a paperless workplace. However, in the real world, where clients pay money for products, printing is a requirement and our clients live in that "real world."

Now, lets focus on ReportViewer and a point well made by Dominique... ReportViewer is a VS 2005 product. It is going on its 5 year release date...its been packaged with VS 2005, VS 2008 and now with VS 2010, and it still is a less than average product. Crystal Reports has noting to worry about if this is the development path that MS is planning for RV. 

I find it a bit disingenuous to peddle a product with as many short comings and programmatic deficiencies (such as the memory leak issue) as ReportViewer has and still hold your head up high and claim that its a good product.  

I also find its less than loyal to your customer base that paid money for VS 2005 and/or VS 2008 (and now possibly 2010) and follow up with an improved product, leaving all those folks out in the cold having to upgrade if they want a product that actually works.

All in all, this is a real problem for developers. I've read - hundreds - of posts outlining the shortcomings in RV and trying to write hacks and other workarounds for issues that are "Business 101" type needs, yet not a peep from MS. At the same time, I'm happy we have a product that we can work with...barring all its many limitations.

I'm not venting, nor am I trying to be overly critical, I'm simply looking at it from the perspective of a developer that needs to get the job done and is working with a product that is inherently flawed.

I suggest you call a meeting with your peers, and suggest that 5 years has been a long time to wait for a fix to some of these issues. As much as I understand the timing cycle associated with version releases and change management, I think (and I'd bet you'd get an overwhelming response in agreement with me) that a management decision needs to be made to put this product out for both Server and Local modes and a retrofit fix for both VS 2005 and 2008 versions.

Thank you for your help and I wish you best regards,
    Fulano
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Hi Brad Syputa

What news about the new feature called report sections in local reports ?

Will be available in Reporting Services R2 and in Reportviewers in Visual Studio 2010 ?

in local mode not server mode.

Thanks

Dominique

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Hi dg78,

The Report Sections feature did not make it for local mode in Dev10. Looks like you will have to wait for a future release.

We did get a couple of key features into the product. Some that I really like are the move to AJAX technology that enables much better refresh and presentation interaction and a much improved standards-mode browser compliance that makes FF much more on par with IE for viewing.

Brian has a good blog on all of the features that are new in the up coming release.

http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2009/06/18/where-s-the-new-report-viewer.aspx

Friday, February 19, 2010 12:58 AM
  • i swear some of the simplest most useful things never get added to ms dev tools. I have a short list of things that would be so simple to add, yet havent since vs2005 or even 2002.
    I'm now working on porting crystal reports to ms report viewer, and the lack of sections.. is just simply amazing. can it really be that hard to add?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:20 AM
  • I am at the same point, i got old CR reports that have to be converted to 2010 Reporting because the business wants to have the possibility to edit the Reports coming from the Application with Word. 

What can i use instead of Sections to get the same behavior?

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:20 PM
  • My sollution is now to create a function in the report code that will check if a field is empty or not. If it is empty it will return nothing if it is full it will return the content with "pre/post text" and a next line command.

Not a very nice sollution but i hope it will be enough.

• Proposed as answer by max_L Monday, June 7, 2010 9:54 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 9:50 AM
  • The only issue is that the header still takes up space, it would just be blank, possibly the size of your top margin.
    Brad Syputa,

I'm having this exact issue? anyone else? any fixes? workarounds?
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:26 PM
  • i had done a workaround where i put the small header in the page header and set printonfirstpage=false, and put the big header at the top of the body to show on the first page, and then the page header shows on every other page.

this worked, but i recently upgraded the project from 2010 to 2012 and it now shows a blank space at the top of the first page.

looking through the documentation i found this "

• On pages where the header or footer is hidden, the height of the header or footer is still reserved within the usable page area, even though the header or footer is not rendered."

This is BS as now my report is broken. I guess its time to look at crystal reports.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:03 PM