none
Addins dveloped for outllok 2010 to be used on outlook2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can we use addin developed for outlook 2010 on outlook 2013. if i install the addin on a system which is having outllok2013, will it work?

Is there any significant change in object model for outlook 2013 and outlook 2010?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• All Outlook addins are forward compatible that way, as long as something deprecated isn't used. For 2010 and 2013 there should be complete compatibility.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj228679.aspx for what's new for Outlook 2013 developers.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:54 PM
  • If Outlook 2010 PIAs are used your add-in should work as expected. However, be aware that command bars properties return nothing. Only Fluent controls can be used now for customizing UI.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:41 PM
  • That's not quite true. CommandBars may be deprecated but they still exist in the Office object model. They can also still be accessed on Explorers when working with Outlook 2010 if reflection (late binding) is used.

It's still useful in some cases to use constructs such as CommandBars.ExecuteMso() or the other ribbon (Mso) related functions on the CommandBars object. It's not very useful, although doable, to add command bars interfaces that would end up in the Add-Ins tab and not be discoverable.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:33 PM
  • As described in the initial post, Outlook 2013 is discussed (not Outlook 2010).

The Changes in Office 2013 document states the following:

The Command Bars OM is being changed so that built-in Command Bar objects cannot be accessed through programming.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:02 PM
  • <shrug> It works nevertheless. Try this Sub in the Outlook VBA project in Outlook 2013, it creates a new email:

Sub CBars()
        Application.ActiveExplorer.CommandBars.ExecuteMso "NewMailMessage"
    End Sub

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:33 PM
  • Are you able to customize the Outlook 2013 UI using CommandBars properties?

In my first reply I wrote the following:

Only Fluent controls can be used now for customizing UI.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:51 AM
  • You wrote "The Command Bars OM is being changed so that built-in Command Bar objects cannot be accessed through programming".

I disagreed with that statement.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:15 PM
  • The citation belongs to the Changes in Office 2013 document.
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:18 PM