none
IMX537 booting WEC7 from NAND flash. RRS feed

• Question

• I am working with the Adeneo WEC7 BSP for the IMX537 evaluation board and I need help understanding what needs to be modified in order to enable booting from the NAND flash on our platform. The eboot bootloader provided does not have options to write the bootloader or OS image to NAND as I have seen in other eboot menus from other BSPs. We are able to put eboot.nb0 and NK.nb0 on an SD card using Freescale's CFIMAGER utility and run from the SD card, but now we need to transition to the NAND flash. Also, is an additional bootstrap loader like XLDR or uboot needed? It seems like the boot ROM of the IMX537 should be able to directly load eboot from NAND to RAM since I assume that is what is happening now from the SD card.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The i.MX537 WEC7 BSP does not support nandflash booting as provided, so there are no definitive instructions on what you must do to get it working. However, from a technical point of view, there is no reason why this is not possible.

The i.MX537 SoC's romcode will attempt to read the bootstrap image from NANDFlash when the boot pins (BOOT_MODE[1:0] ) are set to boot from NANDFlash. These pins must be set properly to allow this to happen and you can read more in chapter 7 of the reference manual of the i.MX57. Once the romcode knows to look for the bootstrap on nandflash, it will initialize nandflash using the timing and geometry settings programmed in the eFUSEs which must be programmed by hardware. Information on these fuses can be found in section 7.5.2.1 of the reference manual. The fuse settings can also be overwritten by providing GPIO pullup/pulldown (such as a DIP switch) to manually configure the nandflash parameters.

Once the boot mode and nandflash parameters are all set properly, the romcode will attempt to read the bootloader out of nandflash. In order to program an image here, you can modify the SD eboot to copy the eboot.nb0 image from the SD card and write it into the nandflash. Note however that the first thing in the nandflash must be the FCB and DBBT headers. (chapter 7.5.2.2) You could also make modifications to allow MFGTOOL to program the nandflash as well.

Once you have SD eboot or MFGtool programming the headers and eboot into nandflash, you should then be able to use the eboot menu items to load the NK image from nandflash and boot to the desktop. By default the OS nand block driver is disabled. You can include it in the OS image by adding the registry settings in platform.reg so that Device Manager loads it at startup.

• Proposed as answer by Keshava GN Friday, October 30, 2015 4:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by PFK1977 Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:16 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 9:25 PM

All replies

• As this is an Adeneo BSP, you will have to get support through them. However, have you seen their answer in the following post on the ti forums?

http://e2e.ti.com/support/embedded/wince/f/353/t/204225

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 9:19 PM
  • Hello,

The i.MX537 WEC7 BSP does not support nandflash booting as provided, so there are no definitive instructions on what you must do to get it working. However, from a technical point of view, there is no reason why this is not possible.

The i.MX537 SoC's romcode will attempt to read the bootstrap image from NANDFlash when the boot pins (BOOT_MODE[1:0] ) are set to boot from NANDFlash. These pins must be set properly to allow this to happen and you can read more in chapter 7 of the reference manual of the i.MX57. Once the romcode knows to look for the bootstrap on nandflash, it will initialize nandflash using the timing and geometry settings programmed in the eFUSEs which must be programmed by hardware. Information on these fuses can be found in section 7.5.2.1 of the reference manual. The fuse settings can also be overwritten by providing GPIO pullup/pulldown (such as a DIP switch) to manually configure the nandflash parameters.

Once the boot mode and nandflash parameters are all set properly, the romcode will attempt to read the bootloader out of nandflash. In order to program an image here, you can modify the SD eboot to copy the eboot.nb0 image from the SD card and write it into the nandflash. Note however that the first thing in the nandflash must be the FCB and DBBT headers. (chapter 7.5.2.2) You could also make modifications to allow MFGTOOL to program the nandflash as well.

Once you have SD eboot or MFGtool programming the headers and eboot into nandflash, you should then be able to use the eboot menu items to load the NK image from nandflash and boot to the desktop. By default the OS nand block driver is disabled. You can include it in the OS image by adding the registry settings in platform.reg so that Device Manager loads it at startup.

• Proposed as answer by Keshava GN Friday, October 30, 2015 4:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by PFK1977 Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:16 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 9:25 PM