Operation Aborted on MSDN2 in IE7 RRS feed

  • Question




    I'm having severe problems in using the MSDN2 site with IE7. I get an "Operation Aborted" error message about 75% of the time I request a page. By clicking the back- or refreshbutton several times I finally get the requested page.


    It's not just me, but all of my collegues as well, so I figured out this must be a very very very big issue for you guys. But this is lasting for a few weeks now and it still isn't solved.


    Well then this must be an issue in our company only (because I can't imagine MS having their main website for resources practically 'out of air' for several weeks).


    As a developer I'm very much dependent on the information on the MSDN site. Could you please inform me if this issue can be resolved?


    Thanks for you help,


    Wesley Bakker

    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:03 AM

All replies

  • I am experiencing this issue as well.


    Monday, January 14, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Can you guys provide more details, like what URLs you are trying to go to and experiencing the errors.


    I am not personally aware of any specific system errors, but there is a lot of content on msdn2, so knowing what developer centers you were trying to get to will help further troubleshoot.



    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:04 AM

    I think it's on all pages with the  treeview on the left(the library for example). The page content loads, but when the treeview starts to load I get the error and the page blanks out. So I get a glimps of the information I'm looking for and then it vanishes. Maybe that's why it's so irritating.


    If you like I can shoot a screencast and place it on the internet somewhere for you to see it.

    Have a look at this scrteencast:


    Thanks for your interest in this post.



    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:24 AM
  • wow, your video is great.  I filed this bug and our engineers will take a look at it.


    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:15 PM
  • My collegues and I have also been experiencing this exact same problem for the last month or so, and I agree it is extremely counterproductive and annoying to say the least.


    Are there any early indications of when we can expect a solution?









    Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:16 PM
  • I agree that the treeview is the common link.  This problem basically makes the web MSDN unusable.  Now that they don't distribute the content on DVD anymore it is even worse.  BTW, if you really need to see a page (most of it anyway) you can cancel the load just before it finishes and displays the error and at least get some of the information.


    Scott V



    Friday, February 1, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Hello all,


    I'm the developer at MSDN who has been trying to fix this problem.  Unfortunately, I've been having a hard time getting it to reproduce in a controlled environment.  It appears to be a race condition where the Javascript is trying to update the document before it is completely loaded.


    I'm trying to gather some stats about the customers who are seeing this, specifically what bandwidth your internet connection is running at and what latency you see when trying to connect to the MSDN servers.  If you are interested it helping me try to fix this, I'd appreciate it you could email that info to  Hopefully with some more data, I can try to get a fix out for this problem. 


    Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your time,


    Allen Wagner

    MSDN Dev Team

    Microsoft Corporation



    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:56 AM
  • Hi Allen,

    Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what our bandwidth is. I can download files from MSDN at about 150KB/sec if that helps.

    In trying to reproduce the error I've found it's far more likely to occur on larger pages with a lot of content in the body, such as:

    (Or any of the pages under the EventLog Class node)

    So you might be right about page load times being a factor. The above page takes about 30-40 seconds to fully load for me.


    I've also noticed that, while the page is assembling, if the first node of the tree view appears before the body content has started loading the error will occur.




    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Update: Allen was able to repro the problem and is investigating a fix.  It turns out the problem is a client-side javascript race condition which only shows up in some scenarios.  The fix is in a particularly delicate portion of the code, so we've made a partial fix (which may not address all cases, as you noted above) and have allocated more time to deploy a longer-term fix.  thanks for your help in repro-ing this.

    Monday, February 11, 2008 10:50 PM
  • What is the status of a fix for this?  I am experiencing the same problem an cannot log in to MSDN from my work computer which is running Vista Business 6.0 and IE7 version 7.0.6000.16609.  My entire company is experiencing this problem.  This is simply unacceptable.  It makes MSDN unusable for my entire company.


    Please raise the priorty of this and give us a fix asap.


    Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Same here, my whole company cnnot use msdn online - a terrible thing
    Monday, June 16, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Everybody at my company has been having this issue for quite some time.

    We have grown accustomed to getting the crash, then having to copy and paste the MSDN URL into a "competing" browser to view the content. I prefer IE, but I can tell you the pages have *never* once crashed in the other browser.

    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:51 PM