Create a SQL database

Question

• I am using Windows 8.1 prof 64 bit. And Microsoft visual express 2012 for windows phone, I would like to create a programme that allows me to use a SQL database, I have not been able to find any help for this , all the help I have found  seems to be for VS 2010, I have tried using  VS express 2012 but there does not seem to be any reference to databases any where. Can you help please? Gordon

Gordon-Barry

Friday, March 14, 2014 7:48 PM

Answers

• Local SQL databases are not supported for Windows Store apps or Windows Phone 8 apps.

You can connect to a database on a server or use a 3rd party database such as SQLite .

If you're trying to create a SQL database for use in a desktop app or server then you'll need to use a more appropriate version of Visual Studio. In that case let us know more specifically what you are trying to do and we can direct you to a more appropriate forum.

--Rob

Saturday, March 15, 2014 12:05 AM
    Owner

All replies

• There is a walkthrough on how to create a local database file in Visual Studio 2012 available on MSDN here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms233763(v=vs.110).aspx

Friday, March 14, 2014 10:18 PM
  • Local SQL databases are not supported for Windows Store apps or Windows Phone 8 apps.

You can connect to a database on a server or use a 3rd party database such as SQLite .

If you're trying to create a SQL database for use in a desktop app or server then you'll need to use a more appropriate version of Visual Studio. In that case let us know more specifically what you are trying to do and we can direct you to a more appropriate forum.

--Rob

Saturday, March 15, 2014 12:05 AM
    Owner
  • I am trying to create a windows phone app that allows the user to input into a database the information  for a recipe,  the user then  can use their phone to read the instructions from while baking instead of having to have a paper copy of the recipe on the work surface.  If this cannot be achieved by using SQL, could you give me an option, or point me to an option please. Gordon

Gordon-Barry

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:07 PM
  • You can connect to a database on a server (check out Windows Azure Mobile Services) or use a 3rd party database such as SQLite .
    Monday, March 31, 2014 6:49 PM
    Owner