Append the nav tab name to the url RRS feed

• Question

• User1185448985 posted

Hello everyone i'm working with asp core and i would like to append the name of the tab to the url to become "https://localhost:44376/Home/Index/register" when the register tab is clicked and the same for the two other tabs is there any way to do that form the Index Action or using Javascript ?

Razor View

<ul class="nav nav-tabs" id="myTab" role="tablist">
            <li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link active" id="Register-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Register" role="tab" aria-controls="home" aria-selected="true">Centers</a>
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link" id="Seats-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Seats" role="tab" aria-controls="profile" aria-selected="false">Children</a>
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link" id="Subscription-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Subscription" role="tab" aria-controls="contact" aria-selected="false">Subscribtions</a>
            </li>
    </ul>
        <div class="tab-content" id="myTabContent">
            <div class="tab-pane fade show active" id="Register" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Register-tab">
    </div>
            <div class="tab-pane" id="Seats" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Seats-tab">
    </div>
            <div class="tab-pane fade" id="Subscription" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Subscription-tab">

</div>
    </div>

Thank you in advance

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 9:18 PM

Answers

• User-474980206 posted

or just do server side. change index to

public ActionResult Index(string id)
    {
          ViewBag.Hash = id.ToLowerCase();
    }

in the view its just:

<li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link @(ViewBag.Hash == "register" ? "active" ? "")" id="Register-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Register" role="tab" aria-controls="home" aria-selected="true">Centers</a>
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link @(ViewBag.Hash == "seats" ? "active" ? "")" id="Seats-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Seats" role="tab" aria-controls="profile" aria-selected="false">Children</a>
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link @(ViewBag.Hash == "subscription" ? "active" ? "")" id="Subscription-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Subscription" role="tab" aria-controls="contact" aria-selected="false">Subscribtions</a>
            </li>
    </ul>
            <div class="tab-pane fade @(ViewBag.Hash == "register" ? "show active" ? "")" id="Register" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Register-tab">
    </div>
            <div class="tab-pane fade @(ViewBag.Hash == "seats" ? "show active" ? "")" id="Seats" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Seats-tab">
    </div>
            <div class="tab-pane fade @(ViewBag.Hash == "subscription" ? "show active" ? "")" id="Subscription" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Subscription-tab">

</div>
    </div>

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2020 3:48 PM
  • User-474980206 posted

of course not. the tab change is done by the bootstrap library. if you want the tab change to navigate, then make tabs links rather than bookmarks. 

Friday, September 25, 2020 7:57 PM
  • User1185448985 posted

Exactly i've missed that, Thank you

<ul> part now :

<li class="nav-item">
                @Html.ActionLink("Register", "IndexTest", "Request", new {Tab="Register" }, new { @class = "nav-link" })
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                @Html.ActionLink("Seats", "IndexTest", "Request", new { Tab = "Seat"}, new { @class = "nav-link" })
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                @Html.ActionLink("Subscription", "IndexTest", "Request", new { Tab = "Subscription"}, new { @class = "nav-link" })
            </li>
        </ul>

for <div class="tab-content"> it is like Bruce's example 

for the Action:

public async Task<IActionResult> IndexTest(int Page = 1, string Tab = "Register") // register tab is active on load
            {
                ViewBag.Hash = Tab;
    ................ //Changing the value of ViewBag.Hash accordingly }

Saturday, September 26, 2020 4:17 PM

All replies

• User1312693872 posted

Hi, Amani AI

Amani Al

"https://localhost:44376/Home/Index/register" when the register tab is clicked and the same for the two other tabs

You can add the following js:

@section Scripts
    {
    <script>
        $(document).ready(() => {
            $('a[data-toggle="tab"]').on("click", function () {
                var newUrl;
                var hash = $(this).attr("href");
                hash = hash.substring(1, hash.length);
                newUrl = '/Home/Index/'+hash;
                history.replaceState(null, null, newUrl);
            });
        });
    </script>
    }

Result:

Best Regards,

Jerry Cai

Thursday, September 24, 2020 1:57 AM
  • User1185448985 posted

your answer is very helpful, but if i want to to redirect from action to specific tab directly is it possible ??

My situation is as follows:

I'm sending 3 lists from my index action to index.cshml by populating my viewmodel with these three lists

and I'm rendering each list in a different tabs.

I'm also using pagination where i handle the page count and everything in the same action, and this is where the complexity is happening.

i would like to rout from my action directly to the tab like "/Home/Index/register" where the register tab will be active. and the same for the other tabs "/Home/Index/seats" and "/Home/Index/subscription"

Thursday, September 24, 2020 10:04 PM
  • User1312693872 posted

Hi,Amani Al

You can add these to the Script, get the last part of the url and show related tab content:

var url = location.href;
            var index = url.lastIndexOf("\/");
            url = url.substring(index + 1, url.length);

if (url == "Subscription") {
                $(this).removeClass('active').siblings().addClass('active');
                $('#Subscription').show().siblings().hide();
            }
            if (url == "Seats") {
                $('#Seats').show().siblings().hide();
            }
            if (url == "Register") {
                $('#Register').show().siblings().hide();
            }

Best Regards,

Jerry Cai

Friday, September 25, 2020 10:00 AM
  • User-474980206 posted

or just do server side. change index to

public ActionResult Index(string id)
    {
          ViewBag.Hash = id.ToLowerCase();
    }

in the view its just:

<li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link @(ViewBag.Hash == "register" ? "active" ? "")" id="Register-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Register" role="tab" aria-controls="home" aria-selected="true">Centers</a>
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link @(ViewBag.Hash == "seats" ? "active" ? "")" id="Seats-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Seats" role="tab" aria-controls="profile" aria-selected="false">Children</a>
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                <a class="nav-link @(ViewBag.Hash == "subscription" ? "active" ? "")" id="Subscription-tab" data-toggle="tab" href="#Subscription" role="tab" aria-controls="contact" aria-selected="false">Subscribtions</a>
            </li>
    </ul>
            <div class="tab-pane fade @(ViewBag.Hash == "register" ? "show active" ? "")" id="Register" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Register-tab">
    </div>
            <div class="tab-pane fade @(ViewBag.Hash == "seats" ? "show active" ? "")" id="Seats" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Seats-tab">
    </div>
            <div class="tab-pane fade @(ViewBag.Hash == "subscription" ? "show active" ? "")" id="Subscription" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="Subscription-tab">

</div>
    </div>

Friday, September 25, 2020 3:48 PM
  • User1185448985 posted

i've done the modifications but when the tab is changed it never hits the action

Friday, September 25, 2020 6:36 PM
  • User-474980206 posted

of course not. the tab change is done by the bootstrap library. if you want the tab change to navigate, then make tabs links rather than bookmarks. 

Friday, September 25, 2020 7:57 PM
  • User1185448985 posted

Exactly i've missed that, Thank you

<ul> part now :

<li class="nav-item">
                @Html.ActionLink("Register", "IndexTest", "Request", new {Tab="Register" }, new { @class = "nav-link" })
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                @Html.ActionLink("Seats", "IndexTest", "Request", new { Tab = "Seat"}, new { @class = "nav-link" })
            </li>
            <li class="nav-item">
                @Html.ActionLink("Subscription", "IndexTest", "Request", new { Tab = "Subscription"}, new { @class = "nav-link" })
            </li>
        </ul>

for <div class="tab-content"> it is like Bruce's example 

for the Action:

public async Task<IActionResult> IndexTest(int Page = 1, string Tab = "Register") // register tab is active on load
            {
                ViewBag.Hash = Tab;
    ................ //Changing the value of ViewBag.Hash accordingly }

Saturday, September 26, 2020 4:17 PM