ARM Templates - Deployment slots & credentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm fruitlessly looking for information regarding a few questions related to continous integration and automated staged deployments. Hopefully someone might be able to shine some light:

- Create deployment slots with specified Deployment Credentials (Github) using an ARM template? Is it possible to automate this process completely with a template, or do I need to provide Github credentials manually? In other words: Can I create an ARM template defining/creating the Web App, Deployment Slots and provide Source control information & credentials for each slot?

- How is Source Control (such as Github) credentials handled by Azure? They seem to be cached/stored, but I cannot find a way to manage them?

- Is it possible to use different Github credentials for different Deployment Slots within the same Web App?

Thanks in advance!

Magnus

Monday, January 25, 2016 12:19 PM

Answers

• For a given user, Azure only stores one set of GitHub creds at a time. Those are typically set when you connect a Web App to GitHub using the portal.

There is also an API where you can view and set those user credentials. Look under /providers/Microsoft.Web/sourcecontrols/GitHub in Resource Explorer (https://resources.azure.com/).

Once the creds are set, you can use ARM templates to set up any number of Web Apps (and slots) using those creds (e.g. sample template here).

From a given template, you will not be able to set up multiple Web Apps that don't all use the same creds. However, you can conceivably have different slots of the same Web App use different GitHub creds if you set them up separately.

• Proposed as answer by David Ebbo Monday, January 25, 2016 3:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by mtjerneld Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:14 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 3:55 PM

All replies

• For a given user, Azure only stores one set of GitHub creds at a time. Those are typically set when you connect a Web App to GitHub using the portal.

There is also an API where you can view and set those user credentials. Look under /providers/Microsoft.Web/sourcecontrols/GitHub in Resource Explorer (https://resources.azure.com/).

Once the creds are set, you can use ARM templates to set up any number of Web Apps (and slots) using those creds (e.g. sample template here).

From a given template, you will not be able to set up multiple Web Apps that don't all use the same creds. However, you can conceivably have different slots of the same Web App use different GitHub creds if you set them up separately.

• Proposed as answer by David Ebbo Monday, January 25, 2016 3:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by mtjerneld Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:14 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Thank's David, that clears it up for me. We'll continue to set our Github credentials manually (or using the API).

//M

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:16 PM