Programs and startup folders

Question

• One thing I was wondering. Now that the start menu is gone, how can we add and remove programs and folders in the 'all programs' list. And add or remove items from startup folder. In the past it was all intuitive, you could rename or remove stuff, drag and drop etc. Now the customisation options got quite limited.

How will it work now?

And also, at the moment, to display the list of all apps, one has to open search. This should be improved. Start screen should receive a button to open Apps List. Just like Windows Phone 7 does.

• Edited by Richardas89 Monday, November 07, 2011 12:08 PM
    Monday, November 07, 2011 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Currently... Adding and removing programs seems to be a bit "all over the place". You have two types of apps "Legacy" and "Metro" (by Legacy apps I mean all non-Metro apps).

A) METRO apps

You remove those from the Start menu (or search/apps) by ticking the element (you can do this by performing a quick swipe down gesture on the element). Then you get the "Uninstall" option at the bottom of the screen (Application bar)

B) LEGACY apps

The way to add/remove those programs still seems to be through: Control Panel -> Programs and Features. You can only pin/unpin those apps in the Start menu but you can't uninstall them.

Hopefully the beta version will bring some improvements to this system

• Proposed as answer by WindowsVista567 Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:49 AM
    Monday, November 07, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Thank you, but actually I was asking how to customise the All Apps list, not add or remove actual programs. Let's say I did not install a "legacy" program using a setup wizard, but just copied it to program files from somewhere. And I want to add its shortcut to All programs list, and put it to start up folder.

Or lets say I want to remove something from startup folder. Or rename a shortcut.

In the win7 start menu, I can easily click "all programs" and do those operations from there. Windows 8 app list will be organised in groups as well, as Sinofsky said in one of the blog posts about start menu. I hope windows 8 offers me the same features in organising that list.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:07 AM