Undocumented Error message when adding a dataset to a report RRS feed

• Question

• User1885962467 posted

I added a report to my asp.net web site (VS2010), and tried to add a dataset (Report Data --> New --> Dataset), and got the error "Undocumented Error".  I clicked Details, and read:

"Could not load file or assembly ... The system cannot find the file specified."

The error refers to a class project in my solution which is referenced and used in my code without problem.

I would appreciate help in resolving this problem.  I am unable to create reports.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:06 PM

Answers

• User1471008070 posted

Hi,

From your information, I think there must be some custom assembly in your project, so please try putting your custom assembly in the [ProgramFiles32]\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies folder should solves the issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:37 AM

All replies

• User1471008070 posted

Hi,

From your information, I think there must be some custom assembly in your project, so please try putting your custom assembly in the [ProgramFiles32]\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies folder should solves the issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:37 AM
  • User1885962467 posted

Yes, there are other class library projects in the same solution as the web site / reporting project.  The reporting project references the class libraries.  If I put these custom assemblies in the PrivateAssemblies folder, they will not be updated when the class libraries are modified.  I assume that I just have to copy the assemblies to the PrivateAssemblies folder each time they are updated?

Also; if I remove the customer assembly references from the web site / reporting project, they are automatically restored to the references when I build the web site.  This behavior is very surprising.

Thanks

Bill

Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:07 PM