none
Which virtual machine is better suited for deployment, installation and debugging of KMDF driver? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello.

First of all I bag your pardon for my poor English. I work in MS VS 2017 Community on PC with 64-bit Windows 10 Pro OS and Intel(R) Core(TM2)Duo x64-based CPU. I want to try to develop a KMDF driver. I do not have the ability to use two physical computers for deployment, installation and debugging of the driver so that I want to use some virtual machine (installed on my PC) for these operations. But I do not know which virtual machine can be used for executing of KMDF driver deployment, installation, debugging. Please advise me which virtual machine is better suited for deployment, installation and debugging of KMDF driver? And it is very desirable that this virtual machine be distributed for free. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Saturday, October 13, 2018 4:15 PM

All replies

• I've been debugging drivers in VMs since the mid-2000s. I have tried all the major VMs, and Hyper-V (built into Windows) is by far the best in terms of compatibility with actual hardware and reliability - and it is built into Windows. In the past, VMware was horrible running checked builds of Windows, showing that their hardware emulation was seriously flawed. VirtualBox also had problems with checked builds, and was very slow. The only feature that VMware has that Hyper-V doesn't is that VMware allows drag and drop of files into a VM (Hyper-V does support cut and paste, though).

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Saturday, October 13, 2018 7:14 PM
  • Thank you.
    Saturday, October 27, 2018 5:24 PM