Distribution MS-Access database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is it necessary to get Access 2003 Developer Extensions to distribute a .Net application using a MS-Access database?

I don't need any runtime fonctionnality because the business logique and data processing is entirely in the .net application.  The database contain only data, and I don't need runtime on the client to exploit the MDB file.

Can I deployed the Access database without Access runtime licence??

Jeff
    Thursday, June 1, 2006 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You do not need an access runtime license.

The way it works is this way.

You have created an access database to store the data. Only you need access to build this database.

You then connect your database to your application via VS and your then using the .net engine combined with the Microsoft Data Access Components to call and save the data once installed on the users PC. I found that you will also need the Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 selected in your prerequisites before you deploy the application.

When you build an application solely in Access its the only time you need the runtime files or access itself to run the database. Because your using Visual Studio to build a 'software package' not a database app you won't need access installed on the PC because the user does not need to browse the database manually only through the software application which is connected to the DB.

Just test and have a play and you can surprise yourself

Hope this helps

Joe

Monday, June 5, 2006 11:22 AM