none
T4 Template for WCF Data Services and EF 4.2 ? RRS feed

• Question

• The most recent Oracle database driver supports EF 4.2. We would like to re-locate db access to IIS, so a T4 Template "EF 4.x DbContext with WCF support" would be extremely helpful.

The corresponding "ADO.NET ..." Template doesn't work in our Oracle/EF4.2 setting. By the way: "Dropping the db" etc as proposed in related discussions is no option for us, since we work on huge legacy db's.

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi GSchneiderTri,

Yes, "ADO.NET DBContext Generator with WCF Support" is really a wonderful tool for us. Based on this issue, please contact Microsoft here. There're 3 ways for you to contact Microsoft, Email, IM and Telephone. Microsoft Customer Service will help you to solve the issue. If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance. :)

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hi GSchneiderTri,

Welcome to MSDN Forum.

I'm not clear about the question, could you please clarify more details?

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Hi Allen,

thanks for your welcome (yes, that was my very first question on MSDN)!

Our product uses Oracle database technology. The most recent Oracle driver supports EF 4.2, no higher version. Currently we access the database from the client, via DbContext. But this is only a temporary solution. We actually want to move the data access layer to a middle tier to be hosted on an application server. We would prefer to expose the data access layer to the clients from there with WCF DataServices.

So the desired architecture is: DAL on middle tier using EF 4.2 DbContext (as this is the most advanced EF version supported by Oracle) <--- WCF DataService <--- Client.

To this end - setting up a WCF DataService on DbContext would be a breeze if MS would offer a T4 Template for it. The latest T4 Template which seems to relate to this spec is "ADO.NET DBContext with WCF support" - but this one doesn't work under EF 4.2. 

We could create a corresponding T4 Template ourselves, perhaps. On the other hand - we're certainly not the only Oracle based developers, and it would be great service from MS to offer one, since we're stuck with EF 4.2. Or is there a basic reason preventing use of WCF DataServices on EF 4.2?

Thanks for your attention, I hope I could clarify.

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Hi GSchneiderTri,

Yes, "ADO.NET DBContext Generator with WCF Support" is really a wonderful tool for us. Based on this issue, please contact Microsoft here. There're 3 ways for you to contact Microsoft, Email, IM and Telephone. Microsoft Customer Service will help you to solve the issue. If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance. :)

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi Allen,

could you, please, hint me with some more detail at where to contact Microsoft for this.

I clicked the link in your mail, ended up with msdn-support and got the information "Kostenlose Anfragen nicht mehr verfuegbar" which translates to something like "No-cost requests not available anymore".

Showstopper ;-(

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Hi GSchneiderTri,

After opening the website, you can find 3 items in the page, "Email Us", "Chat Now" and "Call Us". Please click "Email Us", then another page opened, in this page, you can find different service items. Based on this issue, please click "General Inquiries about Microsoft Products and Services". After that, there will be a form for you to fill some information, after filling the form, please click "Submit".

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:10 AM
  • Just wondering, why you need some special template?

DataServices works well with plain EF since .Net 3.5 - ADO.Net Entity Data Model is only requirement. Most of templates are used to generate some special kinds of entities: POCO, STE for plain WCF, etc. But DataServices uses another approach - they generates their own entities on client instead of EF entities and works with native EntityObjects on the server side. Moreover, database does not make difference for DataServices.

Also, current stable version of DataServices works with ObjectContext, not DbContext.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:25 PM